8v Turbo Conversion

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Richard Mk2, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

The 16V engine in my range rover is the way to go...

2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

The 20v that's going in my Mk2 is the way forward.

3. danster Forum Addict

Why?
    What output is this 20v going to have?

4. emery1990 Forum Member

What do those extra 4 valves do ? Does it just have more power higher up in the revrange, like the 16v has over the 8v ?

5. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

no a 20v revs worst than an 8v, they do make good reliable power but now Iv got a modded one in a cupra and a modded ABF in a mk2 its the mk2 that makes me smile when I put my foot down, Iv fully joined the 20vt engines are boring group.

6. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Im going to start gathering a few parts in the next coming months.

Not sure how long its going to take as more research needs to be done, especially what map to use, ect...

Btw, what twin fan setup would be perfect for the MK2?

Could i get a 1.8T MK4 one in there, or as said above, a 205 GTI one?

:thumbup:

7. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Isn't there a Passat one that works well?

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Why do you think you need a twin fan or a different rad? You might be surprised that the std one will be just fine. But it depends on what maximum output you plan on getting to.

9. mk2vivs Forum Member

i got my twin fan and rad set up out of a seat toledo gt.Engine was a 2.0 2e.Fits perfect!btw im just building a 2.0 xflow turbo set up myself so will be keeping an eye on this thread:thumbup:

10. Richard Mk2

Thats true. All depends on what power i want to be running. I suppose with just the turbo it would be fine, but want to get the most i can out of it tbh.

What could i do to get the most out of it? I suppose a big intercooler, cam, exhaust, different injectors, bigger turbo. Anything else?

Btw, what are the T3's capable of handling?

And as we are on the subject of turbos, what would suit the conversion best?

:thumbup:

11. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Designed in the 70s and shaped like a potato. Ish.

12. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

If your not going for a G60 engine then a G60 cam is about as wild as you want to go. Intercooler wise, I'm going to use a Sprinter intercooler, I know of 300bhp 20vt's using them, but then you could look at universal ones on eBay for 70-100. Exhaust wise, look for a system which is at least 2" bore. You'll definitely need bigger injectors, there are various options, I'm going for Rover Turbo Coupe injectors, a safe option is Bosch Red Top injectors. Standard Cossie T3s can knock out 300bhp, hybrid ones with 360 degree roller bearings upto 350bhp.

13. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Sprintercooler is a good bet, can pick up good ones for about 60 quid if you look hard enough, G60 injectors are fine if you're not going huge on the grunt, G60 block is real good if you can find one, the compression drop is done for you.

Might aswell look at it as a whole other engine conversion at this point mate.

14. Richard Mk2

Cheers for the info Luke :thumbup:

15. Richard Mk2

The thing is i dont really want to go down the 1.8T/VR6/G60 route tbh.

Wanted something different from the rest. At most of the shows ive been to this year, i haven't seen one 8vTurbo at all. More of a reason to go for it :thumbup:

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Ask yourself;
    What type of drive feel are you after,
    What will it cost,
    What will it involve,
    And then you will have a reason to justify a specific type of engine configuration.

Drive various vehicles old to new, modified or std, to establish and confirm what you think is fast, smooth, responsive and so on. This will determine what components/works are needed on say an 8v turbo to get it to mirror your requirements.

17. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

If you are serious about going for an 8v turbo, finding a complete G60 engine minus the charger would be the ideal way of doing it. You'd be suprised at how cheap they go for without the charger. If you can also find a G60 ECU and loo, I'd go for that as well, and get it remapped by Jabba Sport or G-Werks to suit a turbo.

I bought a Turbo Technics 8v manifold and T3 off someone who had it fitted to their G60. The engine was basically standard except for bigger injectors (think they were red tops) and a remapped ECU running about a bar boost, it made 252bhp at the flywheel.

18. thegave Forum Member

That's awesome, my 16v is only making 240 with about a bar.

:(

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

The bottom end from a G60 or rebuilding a bottom end. Which is easier?

20. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I was suprised it made that much. It was only his word though, but I'd already bought the stuff off him so it wasn't as though he was trying to big it up to sell it to me. I just asked out interest what the spec of the engine was and that was what I was told. I suppose the only way to really find out what these engines can make is to actually get round to building mine! I'm thinking of going for a GT series turbo though and a bit over 1 bar boost, it's the stronger 1H Rallye engine so it should be able to handle it.

Richard, you'll also need to think about gearboxes, an 8v turbo will probably be pushing an 020 box near it's limits so it'll probably be worth while to go to the stronger 02A out of either a Rado G60 or Mk3/Rado 16v.