8v v 16v

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by BUG4LIFE, Sep 28, 2006.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

My 8v has had some engine tinkering & does well against quite a few 16v's ;).

Drive what you prefer is what i always say.

Oh yeah i get about 18mpg :lol: .

2. lurch New Member

16 valver all the way m8. had an 8v 4 yrs ago and have had current 16v for 4 months and its way quicker right through rev range. my advice would be to drive both and you will see why we all love to have 16 valves under our bonnets. hope the force is with you:p

3. flutterby Forum Member

i didnt ask this question before i bought i mine, being feamle i went for one that looks nice (typical, i know lol) mines 8v and most of the time im trunderling about town and it runs fine does me just great. I dont have to do many motorway miles but when i do if im honest i wish there was just that little bit of extra get up and go under the bonnet.

4. Kozy Forum Member

You have to change your driving style if you're used to an 8v. I think this another misconception of people thinking the 16v is gutless, they are trying to drive it like an 8v, which simply doesn't work. Keep the revs high, drive it like a Honda it they are far far more capable than the asthmatic 8v. And Hondas, obviously. Crappy little slitty eyed tin buggies of doom...

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Makes me laugh that even though this topic is older than the internet itself, still loads of peoiple reply.

I did post on the other thread btw...

6. The db

The db Forum Junkie

and now on this one:lol:

We just love to keep arguing the t*ss on this one dont we:lol:

7. BUG4LIFE Forum Member

Reckon if you need to rev the 16v a little more than the 8v, I'd like that, it's the way I drive anyway. I had a drive of my mates Civic Type-R [which has got pretty much no torque low down] and hitting that VTEC urge is ace!