8v V 16v

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by mk1 valver, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

moody lol

the guy made a completely valid point. its much easier to quantify a car's performance in a stright line... hence straight line compariesons have been made

2. The db

The db Forum Junkie

This is true. Going round corners starts to take on board driver skill alot more than going in a straight line would.

Only true way to test would be to stig them round the top gear track

3. Phil. Forum Junkie

Not exactly a fair comparison as it's Ibiza's with ABF and 2E lumps I think.

link

I'll try and dig out more.

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

Matt been here so many times :lol: .

5. red 8V Forum Member

ever got stuck in trafic in a valver , in 2nd i used to get lag under 2k prob cus it was revtasick you had to think more about your rev's in a valver or you got beat, i think mine was not standard it rev'd to 8k fine but had mad low down issues :)

Red

6. dubst16v Forum Member

i must admit u do have to think bout ur revs a lot more in a valver....till u put a 2.0 bottom end on then u got best of both worlds lol.

fthai mike what i was tryin to get at is that in a straight line there is less skill involved and so the driver has less effect on the out come.
    plus many millions of tweaks can be made to vastly improve going round a corner

however going straight quickly has less variables???

7. dT MK3 4

dT MK3 4 Forum Member

Gotta say before I bought my valver, i tried a few 8v's and the standard driving just seems more responsive...its the tightness of that 16v head innit? My mates old corsa 1.8sri felt the same unless you had it on song...8v's just feel more responsive, but so long as the rev's are right it'd be close, but who cares, lets petition clarkson / hamster and the toff and get stig to do the honors! [:D]

they could really do a whole episode on the gti phenomenon really, before the golf what was there that looked good and went well as a hatch...i can't really name any...plenty afterwards...205 etc but before??

8. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

how about just sticking them on a dyno and comparing plots. you dont even have to think about launching (which i cannot do to same my life lol)

9. ViCk Forum Member

I reckon an 8v Mk2 would out drag a Mk3 16v on the 1/4m, the Mk3 is heavier and has long crappy ratios.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the weight sucks. i took the sub out and that shaved off another 10th or so.

imagine what it would do if it didnt weigh as much as a boat lol

would be funny to see what a mk2 8v is like. any idea what they score on the strip?

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

So you did not go to Santa Pod last weekend then?
    Just to clarify those comparisons where done my me after 5 pulls and are an average. So in the this case driver skill is constant.
    On a track I expect the STD valver to be still faster but more involving to keep the revs higher.
    I must admit that the 8v tends to feel nimpy around town. The misses says that she perfers the 2.0 8v over my, at the time 2.0 16v N/A as the 8v is has a faster "1-2'. and she would shift at 3500ish. This was not prompted. She did admit though that the 16v is very deceptive because 60mph feels like 40. So thats the novices take on the both.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  12. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I should do this. Fairly interesting comparison. I know a good working digi mk2 could muster a 16 flat if driven intelligently but I have never investigated a MK3 16v.

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

Nope didn't go to the pod, easiest way to break a car imho for little gain apart from a piece of paper & the surface isn't exactly kind either.

Do a search on here for 8v vs 16v & it's all been said before (that's why i said to ban any 8v vs 16 threads :lol: as we just all end up arguing ;) ).

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

well we have a good idea what a mk3 16v will do the quarter mile in. any idea what a mk2 8v does?

15. Phil. Forum Junkie

16-17 seconds I think.