8valver running twin 40s 1.8 ?????

Discussion in '8-valve' started by dave18, May 22, 2008.

1. dave18 Forum Member

Hey peeps i would like your advice, Im looking at building my own engine some time soon for my 91 mk2 golf, At present she is running a 1600 webber carbed 8v . What i would like to run is either a 1800 or 2000 ( not sure if you can do 2000) 8v running twin 40s webbers or Dellortos , Ported and polished heads and manifolds along with slightly larger valves and a different cam balanced through out. Now im not looking to take on G60s or the like ( not saying i would say no to sticking a G60 engine in her)

I know that most of you lot are going to bundle me and say the same thing over and over again ' get a GTi or G60 and go FI' If i wanted either of them i WOULD go that way simple !!!!!

All i want to know is do you lot think this is practible for a daily hack and what figures could i expect and any advice from peeps that have done similar, One problem im having is finding twin fanimoulds for the engine i can find them for 1300 but nothing larger [:^(] [:^(]

Cheers peeps

2. dave18 Forum Member

3. dave18 Forum Member

any one got any opinions on this ??

4. prof Forum Addict

91 8v, will have all the correct fuseboard to fit the mk3 16v management. I'd get a wrecked mk3 16v and swap over all the useful bits.

5. gillm

gillm ***** User

is it going to be a daily car ?

my mk1 had that set up and it was poor on fuel , sounded good tho lol , if you go down that route get a filter king fuel preasure regulater to help fuel surge

6. prof Forum Addict

be loads of time and money for a slow, car that eats fuel. cost less to fit the ABF engine, high 30s mpg and at least 150bhp out of it.....

7. mr hillclimber Club GTI Supporter and Sponsor

Manifolds are available for the 1800 8v head, that's the easy bit.

Finding good second hand carbs can be difficult, though not impossible. They will need jetting to suit the application, though if yr lucky, some of the jets you need maybe already fited, but theres no guarantees of that when you buy.

Fuel consumption does'nt have to be too bad, if sensible choke sizes are used (34mm), good power (160hp) can be had from a road tuned 2ltr, but you need more than just carbs, so the cost can get carried away.

I must admit, even though I'm a carb fan myself, I would'nt go down that route for regular road use, but if you really want to do it, it "can" be done.

8. dave18 Forum Member

Cheers peeps, the mk2 is as far as i want to go with ignition systems, i like my basic as in points and condesors and all that lovely stuff, It will be a daily yes, I was looking at the carbs and a cam should be enough but at the mo i will leave itm, thank you for your advice.

9. Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg Forum Member

I have a pair of dellorto 40's, filter king regulator and a fuel pump, not sure what type, have to check. Anyway, I was gonna lob them on a crossflow head but with petrol prices going the way they are I'm probably gonna sell them. They're in my dads garage at the mo and he's on holiday but when he gets back I'll speak to him and find out the full shabang on what is there. I know they are jetted for CVH and come on a CVH manifold so you'll have to change that.