98 GTIVR6 Supercharged multiple misfire

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by vr6d292, Dec 17, 2003.

1. vr6d292 New Member

my 98 golf, that i bought yesterday, is already screwed. :^(. the fourth fifth and sixth cyliders are misfiring, or so the codes on the computer say. the car is supercharged and i did race it a little hard when it was cold, ok i raced the crap out of itwhen it was cold and the check engine light ame on after i hit first gear pretty hard. i have also reved the motor to 7500 rpms once. the car started to react bad at low and high boosts.(5-11 PSI) the car acts good at low revs, but when you try to give it alot of gas, the motor hesitates. also, when i came out the next morning, there was a puddle of oil under the car, approximatley a half foot in diameter. no more oil has came out of the car and the oil level is fine. i replaced the plugs and it made no difference. the check engine light went off for a little while later on in the day, but the car still ran like poop. the light has come back on again. I run 91 octane or better, the plugs a NGK BCP6ET's and the wire are supposedly "brand new" the coils couldn't be bad because there is an odd # of plugs misfirng, and coils are usually good or bad. do you think the computer could be mistaking misfiring for compression loss? or do you think it is a valve problem? please help i am going crazy over this, the car is one day old and i'm already buying $108.96 dollar plug wires. what are all the causes of a misfire, especially a multiple misfire?

2. jcorallo Forum Member

Hi - welcome to the forum!

Firstly, what charger, what chip and what enigne mods do you have?

As you've only just bought the car - are you sure it wasnt like this when you bought it?

Where is the oil coming from? you need to know this.

How did you rev it to 7500? Did you down-shift instead of up-shift? This could have damaged the engine - you should get it compression tested and maybe leak down tested to put your mind at rest. But you know this....!

Dont beat your car when cold - only asking for trouble.

Jules

3. vr6d292 New Member

I found out that the oil is "blow by?" and i did the compression test, 123 were at 100 + and 46 were at 75 and 5 was at a whopping 50. :^( I think its the valves and not the rings because two show 75 and one shows 50. it can't be a camshaft because it even and odd cylinders. if it is the valves ...::sigh::, how much estimated for an INDEPENDENT mechanic to do it? with the

4. vr6d292 New Member

correction on the 7500, it didn't even get to 7000, but it went into the red zone, making me think it was drasticallly high. the supercharger is a s-trim, and the motor was not beefed, or the fuel delivery upgraded.

5. jcorallo Forum Member

ok - my red zone ends at 7000rpm - and thats where my rev limiter is at (2.9 Z-Eng Chip). So I can go along at an indicated 107mph in 3rd gear boucing off the rev-limiter. I have no worries in revving this high and (touch wood) this hasnt broken the engine (yet). Naturally, as soon as my motor blows from this kind of treatment, I can post an update...... [:s]

Did you do the compression test correctly? When you did the compression test, did you hold the throttle wide open to let the air in? - and crank the car for about 5 to 7 seconds? I'm wondering about your 100+ results - thats way too low for a start. The 75 and 50 is deff an indication of a problem (assuming you performed the test correctly). I tested my compression the other night, with a warm engine, and got precisely 190psi on each cylinder. (disconnect fuel pump fuse and remove plug wires, crank for 7 seconds with WOT).

Looks like its head off time for you.

If you have a knowledgeable friend, he might do the job for around $500 including parts - as long as its not completely smashed inside... otherwise you can multiply this figure by 3 and even 4........

Good luck.

Jules

6. Jeff Forum Junkie

I'm no expert on this, but I recently over-revved my vr6 to about 9000rpm by changing down instead of up [:$] It was still running, but all 12 valves have been bent!

So if you are doing the compresion test right, it could be you've damaged one side more than the other, but managed to damage both :(

Sounds to me like it was running too lean, if nothing was changed when the supercharger was fitted?

7. vr6d292 New Member

is there any difference in doing a rebuild on a vw compared to a honda?

8. jcorallo Forum Member

different engines - so yes.

you need a good book that shows how to re-build your engine.

Jules

9. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

lol best piece of under statement I have seen in years.......

Cheers Jules.......

10. jcorallo Forum Member

yeah - didnt really know how to answer the question... [:$]

Merry Christmas!!

Jules :p

11. vr6d292 New Member

i understand that they are two different engines, but i thought that German Engineering might throw some sensor or gasket or something gay in thre so if a no better knowing american car rebuilder would run into a major problem with a minor technicality

12. vr6d292 New Member

i found out that i need a new motor
    [:x] [:^(] [:s] [:$] [xx(] [8(] :clap: [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(] [:^(]

13. jcorallo Forum Member

[:s] guess you'll treat the next one a little better I hope?!?!

Post some pics of the internals if it gets stipped down.

Cheers,

Jules