9A-ABF comparison

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Golfsburg88, Apr 25, 2010.

1. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

you sure?
    ABF is higher comp than a 9A I thought back when i was messing with my old jetta

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Actually, thinking about the whole debacle I decided to do some quick calcs for the 9A....

Data collected:

Bore: 82.5mm
    Stroke: 92.8mm
    Head vol: 45cc
    Piston valve cutout vol: 1cc
    Piston block protrusion: 0.65mm
    Compressed head gasket: 1.5mm

Using this data I actually come to the 9A being 10.8:1 which when searching around, is what most places quote.

Gurds

3. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

They did I think, but what has this 9A have in the comparison? Early or late head?

Gurds

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

aye later 9a/6a had abf head and zaust cam, the inlet cam is still lame but a lame version of the abf inlet cam rather than lame version of the kr inlet cam :lol:

there is actually a good faq around somewhere which covers all the head castings for the 16v and which engines they were fitted to and at what times etc.

5. badger5

10.8:1 was the number i had in my head from somewhere for abf..

found this on tinterweb just now. from here> http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1274
    [:s]

6. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Some of that doesn't seem right Bill.

I am pretty certain that ABF's were:

150 PS (110 kW; 148 hp) @6000 rpm
    180 Nm (130 lbft) @4600 rpm
    10.5:1 Compression

7. eatonmk2 Forum Member

Guy Croft!!!!! haven't heard that name in a very long time, use to get my UNO turbo and 8V twin cam heads from him back in my fiat days.

ABF is 10.5:1 and 9a 10:1 from autodata. Which is more than likely wrong.

8. rubjonny

I have the proper vw engine repair manual, shows as:
    bore 82.5
    stroke 92.8
    cr 10.5:1
    110kw @ 6000rpm
    180Nm @ 4500rpm

intake opens 1deg before TDC
    intake closes 30deg after BDC
    exhaust opens 39deg before BDC
    exhaust closes 1deg after TDC

9. badger5

whats the 9A one ? 10:1?

10. davidwort Forum Member

9A
    Capacity 1,984cc
    Bore 82.5 x 92.8mm
    Ouput 136bhp at 5800rpm
    Compression Ratio 10.8:1
    Maximum Torque 132lb/ft at 4400rpm (179Nm)

(Corrado owners manual '92-'95)

11. rubjonny

MK2 Bentley has it 10.0:1, 134@5800 133@4400

12. davidwort Forum Member

A US spec detuned engine no doubt.

13. rubjonny

its exactly the same engine as what you get in the uk corrado/passat. 9a is a 9a is a 9a. But yeah, 9a is a detuned engine no matter where you buy it

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Interesting topic coming up here of the actual OEM compressions for the 9A/6A etc.

When I was compiling this OEM outputs thread, I kept tripping over 10.8:1 references, aswell as 10:5:1, and settled for 10:5 for now. Could this be due to the later ABF head appearing on later versions? There are definitely early and late 9As in appearance (the 2 different block breather {metal then plastic}/oil take off designs {extra hole at the top} exist on 9As), and alteration of later heads would suggest a further makeover to allign the engine with the features of the ABF and taller blocks in general.

This post perhaps points again to why we see 10.5:1 and 10.8:1 ?

(Btw, may require a thread split in due course).

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Interesting this topic of CRs.
    Even I thought the all 2.0 16v engines of this kind where 10.5:1
    I have the 9A engine code as,
    10:1 for North America applications,
    10.8:1 for European applications,
    I do not know what effect the later post '94 051...D head would have on this as these have the same cc as the early type.
    A deeper dive shows engines ACE and 6A to be 10.5:1
    and the AAL South African 16v KJet to be 10.2:1.
    Assuming all test machines where reading the same for homolgation, then we have torque for all of the above peaking at 129lbft to 133lbft. This matches what has been seen on the machine that was used in the comparison for STDish vehicles.
    What is brought out by discussing the result of the tested 9A MK2 and refering to the spec of the STD KE Motronic engine, is the vehicle in this test seem'd to hang on to torque much longer than if it where standard. This is why the bhp measurement peaked higher than the rest. Bearing in mind that the cal is only 85% matured, my expectations of what it should achieve when further developed with the benefit of the dyno, seems to be plausable.

16. rubjonny

would the metal head gasket make a significant difference to the cr? the early 9a/6a were fibre and later ones were metal abf ones. they did the same thing on the mk3 2.0 8v as well...

classic cgti thread hijack :lol:
    chris maybe we could split all this cr discussion out into a new thread, I know how you like doing that. plus maybe you could add one of them tables that you love as well :p:lol:

17. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

These threads are what make CGTI what it is!

Seems funny that VW list the 9A as having different compressions depending on the market - you would assume that it would have a different engine code as VW seem to like changing engine codes for the slightest little difference...

Metal HG is an interesting thought. I always thought even though it was thinner, it "squished" to the same size as the fibre ones? Probably wrong, and somebody is guaranteed to know in this thread lol.

I find it odd how many different quoted figures there are. I think the 136 bhp vs 134 bhp can be attributed to 136 PS equalling 134 bhp and the 132/133 lbft just being different rounding from the Nm conversions perhaps?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  18. badger5

i asked about compression as its what makes some valvers work better than others...

19. rubjonny

it may well be the bentley is wrong, it has been in the past though very rarely. even etka lists the wrong power for a mk2 valver!

20. davidwort Forum Member

where did VW get the 139bhp for the KR in the golf versus 136 in the corrado and Passat???
    It's not down to inlet manifoilds as late mk2's had the same as the Passat and Corrado, and they all had the same exhaust manifolds, downpipes, cams etc.
    In theory then a 42mm inlet 1992 mk2 16v should be 136bhp.
    Marketing, minor production changes, VW's testing of engine batches, all sorts of factors affect the figures quoted.

Reality is most VW engines of this era varied wildly when new anyway, there were good and bad ones off the transporters, purely from manufacturing tolerances, so even on identical new engines 5 or 6 bhp difference was common.
    I know this as my dad was involved in 4 pot VW engine development at GTI Engineering in the 80's, in many cases engines were stripped out of cars and run in controlled conditions on a testbed.
    The thing about VW engine numbers is a little more complex too, as specific engine production number ranges determine the components used and not the main engine code e.g. 9A