9A stuttering occasionally off throttle

Discussion in '16-valve' started by jonny-5, Jun 6, 2012.

1. jonny-5 Forum Member

Hi, I have a little problem with my 9A converted mk2. The car was converted professionally a few years ago and has been running well, recently - usually when very close to off throttle or on over run, the engine just seems to stop very momentarily and then comes back to life when the throttle is opened just a little more. It seems to be more problematic before it gets to full operating temperature. It doesn't happen every time but say 50% of the time it will do it.

It idles well and has no problems under load and/or full throttle at any temperature.

When it happens the rev counter drops quickly, would this possibly point to a lack of signal from the hall sender on the distributor and therefore a fault there?

2. jonny-5 Forum Member

Changed the distributor and coil today - still no change. Also it let out a big back fire too and a large grey haze out the exhaust. what should I start checking?