A Challenge!!

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by Noo Noo, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Noo Noo Forum Member

UPDATE

it fits and works. Idles and runs a little smoother now.

i've also found out, looking at VAGCAT that the rocker should have breather valve fitted. Mine was piped directly to the airbox!! (now via a catch tank). Trouble is the rocker head cover is the type with a small pipe as part of the cover (See 1991 Golf). The breather certainly isn't going to sit there happily. Catch tank is still dry but you can see evidence of condensation and oil mist in the connecting pipework. I've re-routed the pipework to make sure the catch tank does what it's supposed to. Still too much crap bypassing it!!

Last issue (I hope) is the engine runs on, just every now and then, after switch off the ignition. i need to check if the recent improvements have helped. Any idea's other than the dreaded carbon build up?

ATF trick and new oil, plus giving the carb a good drowning in carb cleaner to give everything a good clean out.

Getting there!! Thanks people.

I'll be asking for tuning tips and stuff next!!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Maybe a rocker cover from a digifant 8 valve GTI would be better than the carb one you currently have because it has a pressure valve too, have a look on here at some engine photos to see if you think you can make one fit.

For the running on problem I always recommend going to see a man at a gargae who has a gas analyser and wears a beard :).

3. Noo Noo Forum Member

Well thanks again

Definately better now. Much smoother.

I still have the small overun problem (much better than previously though) which I need to resolve along with the breather.

Found some interesting threads on overun.

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119278&highlight=carbon+overrun

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153323&highlight=carbon+overrun

gonna drown the inside of the weber in carb cleaner first and check the throttle is all nice and smooth.

Rubjonny's suggestion of pouring water down the carb gives me the eebie jeebies but is certainly very interesting.