A Copper Crashed Into Me!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by S1MMA, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I'm not sure where you were 40% to blame for this?

OK it is true that you should still check that it is safe to do so before pulling away even from a green traffic light (yes I do before people start screaming) but the fact still remains that the Police vehicle went through a red light without giving way.

I fully understand you not wanting to put yourself at financial risk by taking it court & would ahve done the same myself but I can't help wondering how the police's solicitor would have explained your 40% liability to the court

2. S1MMA Forum Member

It's just one of those things, to be honest I can't remember if it was 60/40 or 70/30, my memory fails me.

I just did the sums and it wasn't worth risking how ever many thousands of pounds in costs to gain a few hundred by taking it to court and winning. The police lawyers were very clever and made the part 36 offer with this all in mind, which is what they're paid to do which is fair enough. The part 36 offer is structured in this way to stop matters going to court, it still gives you a win and compensation, just enough to stop you taking it to court and exposing yourself to a judge that is unsympathetic for whatever reason and making a decision against you.

In my case, I agree I can't think of a way which the policy lawyer could have pinned 40% or whatever amount of liability on me, but you just don't know what they'd come out with. Maybe the judge would be sympathetic that they were on an emergency call (which they confirmed they were on but never provided any proof for to me at least) and say it's a 50/50 outcome, in which case I'm still personally liable for costs. So I was never going to go the whole way with it on that basis.

3. Toffs Forum Member

Haha, I've been waiting 5 years to hear the result - at least it was a good outcome :)

4. DubLass Forum Member

Wow I remember reading this ages ago. Can't believe its taken so long!

On a side note, are all ambulance drivers paramedics aswell?

5. S1MMA Forum Member

6. The_bug Forum Member

What an epic read! This should almost be made into an FAQ for what to do and when in this kind of crash.

Glad it ended ok though :).