A custom 20v G60 inlet manifold!

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Carl loader, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Carl loader Forum Member

Yeah i did wonder if that might be a good idea, its just a bit of a problem as the charger is in the way (sits right in front of the left hand side of the engine, as you probably know).

Maybe i could try and make custom runners allowing me to offset the plenum so that the charger being in the way doesn't become an issue...

I can see this turning into a huge project now, im glad everyones got some input on this, gives me some more things to consider before i go to far, so cheers to everyone!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2007
  2. g60syncro Forum Member

Lookin good Carl!!!

I like getting little MMS updates on how this is going!!

Space is deffo an issue on this, see below, so the runners have been shortened. I suppose the inlet could be angled onto the base plate for a taper, but that's your call Carl!! We did also find out that the inlet stack we are now using, the original wasn't quite right, is also not right!. You can get just a stack from VW, but this is for a small port head and sadly I got a big port head! The original inlet was made with this stack so hopefully we (When I say we, I mean Carl!!) can blend a bit out of the stack and try to match the ports up a little.

[​IMG]

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Looks like a very nice job from here! Can`t beat a supercharger for drivability.

4. Carl loader Forum Member

Right, the manifold is finally finished! Gonna be fitted this weekend i think (i bet G60Syncro will be itching to try it out...

So as said above, the original manifold was wrong as the head is a large port version, so got hold of a stack piece from VW which is basically the head mounting plate and the 4 ports (called a jet carrier if anyone wants to know), but this is also wrong as its a small port manifold stack, but we've gone ahead and used it anyway as its the same stack used for the manifold thats on the car at the mo.

So here's a few progress pics: The first pic shows the machined plate offered up to the stack piece

[​IMG]

This is the stack welded in place to the plate

[​IMG]

Then i ran around the welds with a radius cutter on the mill to round them off a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the head mounting face, just machined out the ports a wee bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This step is a bit of a jump but it shows the full manifold all welded up with spigots for a vac hose and the ISV connection

[​IMG]

And here it is all grit blasted just to help clean it up a bit

[​IMG]

And here is what the inside looks like

[​IMG]

So, there you have it! Never made a manifold before so hopefully it will work ok, but i think at the mo it needs fitting ASAP as the one on the car keeps splitting, so got to be a massive improvement on how it is at the mo

Cheere for all the comments and ideas, this is definately the sort of thing i'd like to get into making full time, maybe one day so watch this space......

5. Admin Guest

looks very cool!

hope it works for you

6. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

fantastic job. what you can do with the right equipment and the ability to use it of course.

7. Carl loader Forum Member

Cheers guys! Well we went to fit it on friday before the normal beer session, but there's a couple of little minor problems with fitting the throttle body. I haven't allowed quite enough room for the throttle body switches, and the throttle arm hits the top of the manifold, not major probs as i can easily modify hopefully at work tomorrow, so as soon as its fitted, ill post up some more pics

8. g60syncro Forum Member

Sounding good Carl!! It was sooo close to fitting!! Amazing job for a first ever attempt!!

9. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

i found that on a n/a engine larger plenum = more torque (which results in more power too)

large plenum narrows the width of the peak in the power band but raises the values
    small plenum = wider tuned band but lowers values

10. Carl loader Forum Member

Well hopefully tomorrow, the mods to the manifold will be complete, need to weld in a new plate, then it can be fitted

11. Carl loader Forum Member

Right, the last and final update...

The inlet has had the mods (big thanks to my mate John at work for the welding), and as i speak the car is out for a test run!

Here's just a few progress pics of the last mods and fitting of the inlet. This pic shows the small mod made to the top of the plenum. The throttle arm wouldn't shut as the end of the plenum sat to high, so i put it on the mill, machined out a small section, then made a small plate to fill the hole, then got John to weld it

[​IMG]

So, here's a comparison of the old and new inlet. See how the old one is looking abit sorry for itself at the cam belt end (looks like its been welded up many times, and i reckon the plenum was only made from about 1mm thick ally)

[​IMG]

Here's the new inlet with the throttle body on

[​IMG]

And here it is all fitted to the car, job done!

[​IMG]

And just to finish, a little vid of the beast starting

[​IMG]

Cheers for all the little pointers along the way, and G60, hope you like it mate, have to make one for my NA engine

12. g60syncro Forum Member

One word - Wicked!!! All looking good mate!!

13. G6 TEE Forum Member

One word - brillliant! excellent workmanship :)