ABF 16v Turbo...... Possible???

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by damogti, Feb 18, 2005.

1. damogti Forum Junkie

Just an idea at the minute.... Im wondering what work and costs would be involved in turbo'ing my ABF lump.

Can anyone give me an idea on the parts i would need to do it and what on the ABF would need uprating in order for it to work reliably?

2. trendy tramp Forum Member

Exh Manifold - fabricated/turbo technics/ATP

Reduce CR - pistons or spacer plate - don't let anyone tell you the latter won't work, they're talking out of their Toyota Yaris. If you are running big boost you will need uprated pistons though

ECU - need a MAP sensitive controller, either standalone or G60

Need ideally to move away from K-Jet for a reliable lump. I know TT used a 5th injector on the K-Jet but not ideal. Best junking it, despite others protesting it can work, how many have you seen?

Decent box - torque's the killer of drivelines, and a turbo will give you plenty of this

Turbo - either T25 (relatively low boost but quick spool-up) or small T3 a la Cosworth

Clutch - dependant on power

All depends how much power/torque you want and how much money you have??? Go for big power and you'll need to uprate everything, keep it real (man) and you can get away with not doing a lot, just be sensible and don't get carried away

Choices, choices....

tt

3. darnold4 Forum Member

Damo, you should have a look on Vortex fella....they love turbos over there.

or talk to stealth they do/did the old TT kit for KR 16v AFAIK; maybe it works in the same way on an ABF; depends on your engine management I guess. if you have K-jet already running on an ABF/9A block I guess the only bit that's different to a KR conversion is the pistons and rods....

if you're using ABF management (Digi?) it might be a little different.

But digi may be better for FI anyway......dunno.

EDIT:OK TT knows a sh1t load more than I do and got in first...
    [:s]
    Edited by: darnold4

4. darnold4 Forum Member

Intercooling?

5. 4 horsepower Forum Member

dude, i looked at this, costed it all up and a 20vt is miles cheaper as 99% of the bits are off the shelf

you could fit 2 headgaskets etc to the ABF but really, in terms of /bhp 20vt will be cheaper by miles

6. trendy tramp Forum Member

i disagree, for the silly money 20v engines are fetching now, if you've got some nouse about you it can be done very cheaply. Ask TSC how much his bits have cost him so far. if you've got time and are willing to do the hard work and scrabble around for bits it can be done cost effectively.

tt

tt

7. trendy tramp Forum Member

forgot he said ABF - you're right, should be easier for FI work :)

tt

8. danmoody Forum Member

join the 20vt club mate the more the better

;)

9. danmoody Forum Member

what sort of power are you looking for

10. damogti Forum Junkie

Nah, 20vT is too easy..... ;) :p :p

My ABF is running standard Digi management at the moment, would this cause any sort of problems or would it make things easier if using G60 management??

I found a site in the US that makes custom parts for turbo'ing VW 16v engines and most of the parts they recomend are Audi RS2 such as pistons and KKK 24 Turbo......

11. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

I'm sure we all had this argument last week, but..

For god's sake if you're going to do it don't be swayed by the 20vt brigade. The 16vt has enormous potential, can be done cheaper if you know how/know the right people, and above all it'll be different to all the mass produced 20vt's out there.

12. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Oh and the strong pound makes it even more attractive at the mo...

13. danmoody Forum Member

g60 management would help you can run the 20vt on them

[​IMG]

14. damogti Forum Junkie

Exactly!!

Also my mate is currently 20vT'ing his Mk2 Oak Green and we dont want to end up with the same spec cars!!!

Ive been thinking about forced induction for a while but after seeing that German Mk2 in the lastest PVW, my mind has been made up!!! [:D]

I have only two problems with doing it..... at the moment i havent the knowledge to do it and i havent the money to get all the bits needed straight away...... once i know exactly what parts are needed i can start collecting and hopefully then start doing it once the show season is over......

:)

15. danmoody Forum Member

mine was a 16v but it went Bang!! so i did this, its nice to 270bhp under your foot and 310lbs in your back [:D]

16. danmoody Forum Member

16v are vgood engines im still a fan of them and would like another to run around in.any vw project im with you all the way,just do it right

17. damogti Forum Junkie

Yeah definately gonna do this right..... cant afford to have it go bang once its done....... [8(]

Right, as a starting point should my shopping list look like this....

Exhaust Manifold to mount Turbo
    Intercooler (Merc Sprinter??)
    G60 ECU
    New Gearbox (MK3 ABF 'box????)
    Turbo (Any particular??? Will any turbo bolt on to any manifold??)

What Inlet will i need to use?? Would a 20vT one fit or could be modded to fit??

Pipework i assume is all custom. If there anything i need to consider when this side of things??

Will things like the fuel pump and fuel rail need uprating?? If so, what are the best ones to go for??

Would using Audi RS2 Forged Pistons and conrods lower the compression?? Would something else be needed?? Is it worth using this pistons and rods or is there something better?? Are they needed at all???

Cheers :)

18. danmoody Forum Member

big list

the turbo will have to fit the manifold. eg:they are not the same. there is a manifold for the rs2 that is made to fit the 16v by losing one of the ports and then you can use the rs2 turbo as well

use the inlet you have .

blowoff valve.

fuel rail need uprating to custom.

Audi RS2 Forged Pistons and conrods dolower the compression and are very good but there is always some thing better

19. damogti Forum Junkie

Ive just had a look on ebay and there are quite a few bits listed for doing a 16v turbo conversion.... the trouble is im not sure if they will work on the ABF as most seem to be listed as for use on the KR/9a/6a 16v engines...... Any idea where i can find out if these bits will fit on my engine?? [:s]

20. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

I can't see there being any insurmountable problem with using them on the ABF. You're going to need a custom downpipe and most of the other plumbing anyway, so I can't see the extra block height being a problem there. It may bring the turbo very close to the bulkhead though, again nothing that can't be sorted out with a BFH.

I might be worth contacting some of the american companies and see if they have any insights. AFAIK an ABF should be pretty much identical to an ABA 16v, which is fairly popular over that way.