ABF breather/vac pipes

Discussion in '16-valve' started by garnetteyes, Apr 8, 2009.

1. garnetteyes Forum Member

Still making good progress with the ABF Jetta. Just a couple of quick questions...

Is there a diagram anywhere for how the vac pipes go? I'm assuming the vac pipe from the by the throttle body goes to the airbox (which I haven't got anyway), theres a place for a vac pipe off the front of the inlet manifold which I can't work out where it goes. Also the ECU vac pipe connection should go to where?

The other question I have is; because I don't have an airbox am I OK putting a breather filter on the end of the ISV? I have it pushed into the manifold with the right gromit.

Thanks as always

Nick

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

isv starts at the back of the throttle body (bulkhead side) and goes up to the nipple on the far side of the ECU.

There is also one that goes from the pcv inbetween the manifold tubes up and underneath tube 1 if you like.

And one goes from underneath the plastic PCV that bolts on the front of the engine to a nipple on the bottom of the inlet manifold

3. garnetteyes Forum Member

I've got the one that goes under the inlet manifold to the pressure regulator PCV.

Does the vac pipe from by the ISV go to a 'T' piece then which joins to the throttle body and the ECU?

Cheers for the help mate

4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

[​IMG]

where the blue arrow is pointing to the plastic cover, below that is a square plastic PCV that has a big breather pipe connect underneath - there is also a vac hose that goes from there next to the isv.

Be carefull when taking to old one off as the plastic nipple gets very brittle and snaps - vw wanted 60+ for a new one so I ended up bodging it back on

5. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Best way to remove then is slice them along the nipple axis with a stanley and then just slide them off- Beats breaking them as RIP says; they do go brittle.

6. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

mine had one of those little tiny metal clips the same as the one on the top of throttle body that goes to the airbox. I didn't realise and just pulled very hard at a bit of an angle..... it came off ok, as did everything else!!!! Then when lizard bought a new abf for his ibiza I thought great I can stick a new one on.... then he snapped the whole thing in half!!

7. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Off topic but...

OMFG :o I've never seen an engine soooo dirty... I need to sit down :lol:

;)

I hope you're gonna clean that before it goes in the MK2?

8. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

your joking right?? i had just spent two hours with special micro fibre cotton whool buds detailing that bay [:^(] :lol:

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you have 1 vac hose to the injectior rail FPR, and another that goes to PCV valve. The PCV pipe is close to where the PCV is, the FPR is further up, see:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also in 2nd pic you can see on throttle body you have a chunky vac pipe for the carbon canister, and a smaller one for the airbox. Dependign on the year of the manifold the ECU vac piep either goes to a vac nipple round the back, ot one on the brake servo chunky hose.

10. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

^^ Slacker :lol:

Last off topic post; I promise. [:$]

11. garnetteyes Forum Member

[​IMG]

Right, the area I've circled green I just have a black plastic square and nothing underneath it, so I need to get one of those. [:$] And that big long pipe goes all the way round to the throttle body?

Am I OK blanking off the pipe I circled red and putting a breather filter on it? I'm assuming this is the pipe which joins to the ISV

12. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

yes, it only connects the airbox to isv.... so as long as your filtering the air that goes into the isv then shouldn't be a problem

13. rubjonny

yeah originally when we fitted the abf to that car the airbox was a diesel one, so nowhere for isv to go. just stuffed a breather filter on the end it was all good. as for long pipe to throttlebody on some models its a bitr shorter and comes out more right angles, if you block the inlet boot side again just put a breather filter on the PCV and all will be well :)

are you sure theres nothing under that cover, the PCV is actually clipped to it so it should still be there :)

14. garnetteyes Forum Member

Just a circular recess where something should go?! I should be able to source one, and then I can put a breather filter on instead of the long pipe to the throttle body and use a bit of pipe and a bolt or something to block the pipe on the throttle body?

I suppose all these bits are just for recirculation anyway. Where's the best place to get breather filters?

15. Ess Three Forum Member

This shows the PCV hose (blue) and a K&N breather off eBay...you need to trim your cover thingy as shown:

[​IMG]

The other vac hose comes off the manifold near No1 plug lead/TPS and goes to the FPR:
    [​IMG]

Finally there is the vac hose from the back on the inlet manifold to the ECU (above the VW logo on the inlet, next to the TB):
    [​IMG]

16. azur Forum Member

im not one for detailing but that engine bay is a real beaut :thumbup:

17. rubjonny

^^ on my mates abf we used a short length of hose so we didnt have to trim the pcv cover. the ecu hose is only there on later inlets, early ones it runs to the brake servo chunky hose :)

18. garnetteyes Forum Member

Cheers for the help guys, the pics are proper useful. That is a very nice looking engine bay, makes me realise how ratty mine looks.

19. 16ValveInside New Member

Is that a ABF airbox in the above pictures?

20. eightieshatches Forum Member

Could be from a seat ibiza/Crdoba abf mk3 golf one is a lot bigger.