ABF -in traffic -oil temp 104 deg...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by G60-NeedMoorePoower, Jun 12, 2007.

1. G60-NeedMoorePoower Forum Member

oil to water cooling.....

I don't know vdubs all that well its my first a Corrado G60 now with a ABF motor, but
    perhaps the water/oil cooling method isn't enough to cool oil -adding an oil cooler would have been far better.
    using hot water to try cool even hotter oil isn't too clever -heat transfer would not have
    been as effective as a standalone cooler...

2. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Its a bit like old science coursework... with variable factors causing the same experiment with the same materials giving slightly different results....

Oil (type, properties, age etc)
    Sensors
    Internal condition of engine (wear and tear of parts)
    Cooling system
    Modifications
    Air flow into engine bay (and temp of air)
    Starting temp of engine

etc etc

3. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

my 2.0 16V ABF, when using a small radiator would sit at 102 on tickover, with my fan override running, it dropped to 98, I fitted a large radiator and its now 90 in traffic, after 2 hours on track, it peaked at 106, thats with no oil cooler either..

4. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Sounds like a healthy engine

5. Sukh

Sukh Membership Team Admin

I found by removing my undertray and front spoiler oil temps dropped by 10 degrees C.
    The increased air flow kept the engine also cooler. I was surprised at how much difference it made.

6. mk28vICED Forum Member

my digi often sits as low at 84 on the motorway, at 4k RPM in 5th gear.
    Usually 82-90 depending on outside temp.
    Highest ive ever had it is 100 - 102 after 15 mins between 4.5k-6k rpm along country roads. I thought that was high and backed off![:$]
    I've flushed and changed the coolant and i use Castrol GTX Magnatec for *conventional engines* before 1990. (i know people have mixed views on this oil) but it seems to be working really well for me according to the oil temps.......[:D]

the bonnet air vents have been smoothed so in traffic and summer underbonnet temp rise... it often kicks the fan in around 96 i think...takes it down to 92 then cuts out.

7. G60-NeedMoorePoower Forum Member

my summary...

my point is that oil gets to 104 deg from simply being in traffic, no racing around etc...

the ABF transplant is new, so is the coolant; plugs maybe old; temp switches are orig.

I believe the oil to water cooling setup on an ABF is rubbish....
    trying to cool 100 deg oil with 90 deg water is stupid...

The oil operating temp -oil at temp 105 or anything < 120 may be well within operating range
    is all very well for oil, but is not doing the engine any good!

All the Astra's i've owned have had oil coolers and don't have the oil/water cooling ....
    I admit i've not monitored oil temps in the astra's ..or i don't recall what temps were..

I am going to invest in an oil cooler with mini fan with a manual override switch....

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  8. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Don't forget that all engines operate at different temps.

My mk2 16v has been known to go up as high as 110 when sat in traffic on warm days.

9. Sukh

Sukh Membership Team Admin

stuck in traffic to stoner mine was on 110, but I did have the AC on :)
    I think ABF units are a lot hotter, I had a Mk3 AGG GTI, that struggled to go above 90.
    Would consider it normal, just make sure you have the largest radiator, twin fan setup helps.

10. G60-NeedMoorePoower Forum Member

radiator size differences ABF ~ G60

I've never researched this, not sure where this is documented...but whats the diffs
    between Golf ABF's and Corrado G60's radiator (size) ?

Jas