ABF ISV wiring diagram?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Sully114, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Willber Forum Member

I have 12v at the plug for the idle switch, nothing when I put continuity across the terminals.

Should I see a reading when placing the prods accross both pins?

The ISV is working now I have repaired the wiring but it will still not idle from cold.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

with the ignition on you'll see a pulsed signal across the pins, which is dificult to read on a normal multimeter you need something a bit more upmarket! if isv buzzes though no need to worry about the wiring.

it could be the throttle stop needs adjusting, or your isv is still bust! i went through 3 isvs before i found one which let my abf idle, they all buzzed though!

3. Willber Forum Member

Ok, so I won't get a read on the switch terminals with my normal multimeter? Is that how to test the switch is working?

I will try re-adjust throttle stop tonight but I have already done this somewhat.

I think I will go for another ISV as when first connected it buzzed very loud and now is almost silent.

4. rubjonny

bleh being an idiot thought you were still talking about the isv plug :lol:

yeah you should see voltage at the idle switch loom plug, also on the tps plug on 2 of the pins. cant remember if its pin 1 or 2 thats the live pin, but if you have vag-com you can just check the tps measuring blocks. you can check the idle switch via vag-com too :)

loads of info here, including the proepr vag-com label files which make your life easier:
    http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=199583&highlight=idle+switch

5. Willber Forum Member

I checked the plug which connects to the throttle body nearest the cable, is that the TPS? I had 12v there but did not check the one further round under the intake boot. I will check that tonight.

Is there a way to actually check the switch is working without VAG-COM using multimeter or no possible? It's ok have voltage to it on the loom but if the switch is broken then it won't go anywhere surely?

Have ordered new ISV to be on the safe side anyway then at least I know it's a good one :)

6. rubjonny

oh yeah is possible, put your multimeter to continuity and pop them on the idle switch itself. should read closed circuit when throttle closed, open circuit when open. or 0 when closed, 1 when open, or beeeeeeeeep when closed :lol:

the idle switch plug is the 2 pin with the brown/white and grey/yellow wire

7. Willber Forum Member

In that case my idle switch is knackered as it gives no reading, beep or voltage when closed or open!! My tester is a Fluke and just beeps when cont. is achieved. No beepy this time!

8. Willber Forum Member

Fixed it!!! [:D] :clap: :thumbup:

New ISV cured it, runs like a goodun now, adjusted idle switch so that it ticks over at 900rpm.

Well happy, going to trailer it down to my unit tomorrow and let the guy at the bodyshop have a look at it. Then MOT and insurance - can I make the Curby deadline of the 17th??? [:s] Would be a good shake-down for it :thumbup:

9. rubjonny

sorted :thumbup:

10. Willber Forum Member

Yep, happy it runs properly now - just goes to show how critical the ISV is! 55 off eBay brand new with 12 month warranty - almost a yearly service item at that price!