ABF pulleys and belts squeaking problem

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Matas, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Matas Forum Member

Hello everyone,

I had this squeaking problem for ages now in my ABF. Now I have a good chance to fix the problem.
    Can anyone tell me the codes for crankshaft and water pump pulleys? Maybe you know where I could buy them? Maybe there are some proper aftermarket ones?
    Also what length belts are needed for an ABF? Cause there are a few different ones..
    This is how my water pump pulley looks like.. I think it might had something to do with squeaking problem 275929355_653028709264293_1742234332643703454_n.jpg 275905873_1313258092519250_5675945281408848523_n.jpg

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

is it bent? if not can reuse once cleaned up no problem. its the same as any petrol mk3 1.8-2.0 8v non-ac waterpump pulley also part number 028121031K and still available at £21+VAT from the dealer

crank pulley is specific to the ABF though and is long since NLA and hard to find used. though tbh, chances are the squeek is either the alternator bearing or the little tensioner pulley if you have that setup. its only a 13mm bolt to undo to get the pulley off then can pop open the plastic cap to get at the bearing. often all you need to do is carefully prise off the dust seal with a pick tool and pack it with a load of grease.

while pulleys are off though give the waterpump a good wiggle and twist see if it feels rough or wobbly

3. rubjonny

oh forgot to say new the waterpump pulley is completly smooth, the 'grooves' are just where the belt has worn thru the paint perfectly normal. so if you fully strip the old one dont worry about trying to re-create these groves the belt will do that for you after a few thousand miles :lol:

4. Matas Forum Member

Thank you for replies!

I have ordered full set of pulleys just to be sure that they are all new from same set. (I have my front end of the car removed so it's an easy access to all the pulleys now) I will also change the tensioner pulley and an alternator is going for a check up.
    Question is what size belt is needed? There are so many to choose from, I think its from 1033-1038mm?
    Also, when twisting water pump, should it twist smoothly?
    And when I am almost at full lock my car squeals. Can it be due to pulleys or belt from power steering?
    And this is the set that I ordered. https://www.gladen-motorsport.de/VW+2-0+Liter+16V+Aluminium+Riemenscheiben+komplett+Set.htm
    upload_2022-3-21_12-52-51.png

5. rubjonny

full lock puts load on the pas pump chances are its the belt slipping so a new one should fix that

for alternator belt length it depends on which tensioner bracket yopu have. pre-95 non-ac you need 037903137G 976mm post-96 you need 037903137H 1033mm. the difference is post-96 VW just fitted the ac type bracket regardless which pushes alternator up and out a bit. easy to tyell which you have look under the alt to see if it has the holes for the aircon compressor or not

6. Matas Forum Member

My Ibiza is 98, so 1033 it is then