ABF Vagcom Confusion

Discussion in 'Vagcom / VCDS' started by tom1989, Oct 6, 2014.

1. tom1989 Forum Member

Hi

I've recently finished an ABF conversion and I'm still working on getting a good understanding of it, so I figure I should get a Vagcom cable so I can check everything is as it should be and can troubleshoot issues as they arise, I wired in the port when I did the conversion so the plug is there already. Mine's just developed a misfire at part-throttle from 1500-3000rpm so I figure it'll be handy to see if I can identify a sensor fault before I go buying parts.

Are all ebay cables pretty much the same? I've had a look on a few previous posts and gathered that for simple reading they are...maybe? So will this one probably work, for 5 it's pretty cheap: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAG-KKl-Cable-for-use-with-VCDS-com-lite-/151426829708?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2341be0d8c

Also, I can't find much info on actually reading codes, I'm guessing it's done with the engine running? What sort of stuff can I read with Vagcom? Can I damage anything easily? Is there anything I need to know before I start?

Cheers in advance and sorry if these seem like really obvious questions, I'm quite new to living with this fuel injected goodness... I still occasionally reach for the choke in a morning and go to push it in at the end on my road lol

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If you search my previous posts I have explained on here cheapest way of doing VCDS (vagcom).

Says mk4 but most applies to your car too.

That KKL cable works with VCDS-lite as per my other posts.

Have a read of Ross Tech site and user manuals.

Codes are read with engine off.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    tom1989 likes this.
  3. tom1989 Forum Member

Awesome, thanks, I'll get one ordered and do some reading. :thumbup: