ABF - Windage tray & baffled sump?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Stu, Apr 15, 2009.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi All,

I've been running a standard ABF engine with alloy sump in my track car but could do with swapping it for a steel sump as I worry about the alloy one grounding and cracking at the 'Ring.

I've previously fitted a diesel windage tray which works nicely but wonder if it'll still fit with a steel sump if I weld baffles into it or won't there be enough clearance? I had a DIY baffled sump on my old Mk2 with a 6A but can't remember if I had a windage tray or just the standard clip on oil pump baffle thing on that one.

Anyone running a windage tray and baffled sump successfully? The baffles I intend to use are basic ones I got from ebay ages ago before realising the ABF had an alloy sump and I have a MIG welder... [:$]

Pics:

Windage tray

[​IMG]

Current alloy sump

[​IMG]

On a related note - does anyone have a good spare steel sump surplus to requirements?

Cheers
    Stu

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the answer is 'make it fit' :lol:
    hold the baffles in with tape or something and offer it up, grind till it fits!

edit: actually I just thought of a much easier way. Purchase another windage tray, get your sump, tape baffles in and sit the tray on top :thumbup:

3. aj_gti Forum Member

They work together ok, without any mods.

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

There's someone on here who recently did this by welding the baffles to the Windage tray, rather than the ally sump.

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I'm thinking of doing this with mine. But not too bothered bout the baffles. I assume the steel sump fits?? Easier to weld turbo drain and not prone to cracking. Someone was offering photocopies of the baffles on here. Cant find the thread at the mo.

6. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Hadn't thought of welding the baffles to the windage tray, I suppose that's another way around the issue of not having the equipment to weld alloy.

To be honest the car has been fine so far with the alloy sump but I worry about it cracking if grounded and if I'm swapping to a steel one anyway it might as well be baffled. The car runs road tyres for now but in the future it may well use more track biased tyres and create more grip and oil surge.

Am I right in thinking that any 'big block' steel sump will fit the ABF, so one from a KR, PB or whatever - are 8 and 16v sumps the same? I do have a complete spare KR engine with steel sump but would rather leave that intact in case I need it.

Sounds like it should work anyway according to aj_gti above. I'll try and find the baffle plates in the garage and post a pic of them and track down a suitable steel sump to use. :thumbup:

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

New sumps are only about 20 from VWspares.co.uk. Similar price from GSF.

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

you have to watch the windage tray seals against the steel sump face properly as some of the pressed steel sumps have undulations on the sealing face and wont seal with the rubber gasket

9. altern8 Forum Junkie

Do you know what after market sumps are ok to use Rob?

10. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

the schrick sump has a completely flat gasket sealing face that works with the diesel windage plate with the built in rubber gasket

11. rubjonny

just make sure the sump you buy is listed for the MK3 1Y diesel, then it'll definitly be the right one.

12. Phil. Forum Junkie

x2. I've only cured my oil leak from around the sump, windage tray didn't seal properly. [:^(]

13. rubjonny

interestingly the AVS one clicky is listed to replace vag number 051103601, which is the sump listed for the 1Y (and all other big block MK2 and MK3s except the ABF). From the pic it appears to have the undulations, though it might be the actual item does not.

edit: must add it isnt actually listed for the MK3 on AVS tho, just the MK2...
    edit2: gsf list the same sump pan for MK2/3, I bought one from there recent I'll have a quick look at it later

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  14. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Good point about the undulations in the sealing face of the different sumps Rob, now you mention it I have seen that on different ones I've taken to bits in the past.

Don't want any oil leaks, the alloy sump at the moment is lovely and leak free so I'm in two minds about whether to leave it on now - didn't ground at the 'Ring last year and we always took the 'correct' route through the karussell :p

Have been considering making a sump guard instead, wonder if that's a better route?

RJ - if you could check what the GSF sump is like that'd be really handy. Thanks for all the info and help so far :thumbup:

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

wonder if you could stick (with some high temp epoxy) a sheet of thickish kevlar to the base of the sump to act as a skid plate? its not going to be a bash guard but it will stop the ali grinding through on rubs with the ground

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

All the pressed steel sumps I've seen, have an undulating edge, including the one I bought from AVS a few weeks ago.

17. rubjonny

the ABF had a plastic sump tray on it from the factory, not exactly kevlar strength though :lol:
    I actually have one in my garage but it doesnt look like it'll fit on mine as it seems to use the bottom bolts from the 02a to hold it on

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

The Ally sumps aren't a problem on a car that runs at standard ride height, or are only lowered 30-40 mm.

19. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

Schrick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
  20. diamond hell New Member

A mate has been mulling over getting a batch of baffled Golf sumps cast in the UK.

How much interest would there be in these at say 2/3s the price of the Schrick item?