ABS removal but still MOT safe?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Cupra_Rally, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Cupra_Rally Forum Member

Hi experts

My car is a 98 Seat Ibiza Cupra Sport GTi with an ABF in it that I use for rallying. It has ABS as standard, but ever since I've had the car it has been unplugged and plays zero part in the braking system as far as i'm aware....plus with any sort of motorsport car, you don't really want ABS.

In fact all it does is clutter up the engine bay and get in the way.

So my question is this, can I remove the ABS pump (and maybe even the associated loom) and re-plumb the system with all new pipes and fit a bias valve in the car and it still be MOT'able?? The car HAS to be road legal to compete in the sort of rallying I do.

Currently the master cylinder has 2 outlets that go in to the ABS pump, that get split into one each for the front, and then 2 going back to the rears. How can this be plumbed in and remain legal as I'm sure It was mentioned to me that having an oldschool T section in the brakes is no allowed any more?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as since the engine is out I might as well do something useful!!!!

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The Teves 20 ABS system on MK3 Golf , Passat, Toledo, Cordoba/Ibiza, has electronic bias control. Some models also have 'EDL' (electronic diff lock) for traction control.
    Unplugging can send uncontrolled brake bias to the rear.

3. molegti Forum Member

I'm no expert so you may wish to double check however a quick scoot of the MOT manual suggests that if you remove or render ABS inoperative it all has to be removed but seems to make no mention that you can't re plumb the system to be like a MK2 golf with T junctions and a rear bias valve. It only talks about failure due to inadequate repairs.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...nspection-manual-classes-3-4-5-7-vehicles.pdf

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  4. Pidge87 New Member

As far as the legality/mot'ability of removing ABS - as long as all traces are gone (unit, sensors, light on dash) then there should be zero issue removing it. An mot tester may or may not know it had ABS as standard, however if there are no elements there to be tested, the car cannot fail on it. Further, it is not a legal requirement for cars to have ABS at all. Lower spec mk3 golfs do not have ABS and use the old t-pieces.

To answer your question about re-plumbing the system, if you want to have in car bias adjust (really just line/flow control to the rears) you can run a line from one of the ports, into the cabin, through a bias valve, and out to each corner through a t-piece. Other m/c port would then feed the fronts via another t-piece.

As far as the rally regs you have to comply with, I don't know about the legality of t-pieces. I can't see them being an issue as they are perfectly fine for road use.

5. Cupra_Rally Forum Member

Oh right, don't know why I always thought T pieces were frowned upon?

As for the MOT for a current ABS equipped system......Mine has the plug fully out of the pump with electrical tape covering the terminals, so really isn't working at all. Passes every time.

As for the bias going to the rear......I did have an issue with that when I first bought the car. Changed the crap EBC pads out for proper pads (Mintex DS3000) and it has been superb since. In fact it has eaten through my Black Diamond discs (which need changing)

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The bias to the rear, is variable at best without the controller.
    Several including me have found this out the hard way!
    Not advised to run without out, unless you have fitted a manual one and it is legal to do so for road use.