Advice needed!

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by 26041990, Jul 18, 2018.

1. 26041990 New Member

I have recently became the owner of a unwanted project,1.8t BAM engine all stripped down. The engine has been sent off for the head skimming pressure tested and bore size made to 83mm. After that it has just been left sat in a box in the garage I am wondering how I go on about choosing the correct pistons for this bore size? I know they should be bored with the new pistons but this hasn’t happened. I am looking at keeping the standard crank and going for new pistons and rods (rifled drilled) any help or advice will be appreciated thanks in advance.

2. GtSpec

GtSpec Forum Member

Hi,
    I have just assembled my BAM stroker (2008cc). Why are you staying with the standard 1.8l crank out of interest? I recommend the Integrated Engineering spec Mahle Motorsport 83mm pistons and their rifle drilled rods. You are right that the bore should be matched to the piston but you should be alright.

3. 26041990 New Member

Yes they where my choice of rods and I was torn between the cp pistons and the Mahle I have read good reviews on both. I have already got the crank from the BAM engine and from what I have been reading there is a bit fabrication work with the sump clearances and the oil pump drive is this correct? Also what headgasket did you use for the 83mm and did you have to get it from overseas? Thanks

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  4. GtSpec

GtSpec Forum Member

Yeah I imported my Mahle ones in my suitcase on a recent trip to the US.
    The 2L TFSI crankshaft (06A105021AR) requires no modification other than to swap over the 1.8t press fit oil gear; easy to do with a puller and some heat.
    Headgasket wise, go for the Elring 366.670, readily available here. The cylinder bore of the gasket is 83mm and maintains the standard compression ratio.