Advice on MKI Cabriolet

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by TurboDubGal, Feb 10, 2005.

1. TurboDubGal Forum Member

Hi Guys

I need your help. I'm selling my MKIV GTiT and wanted a MKI/MKII slightly different to the run of the mill usual cars. It's coming up to summer and I thought about a cabriolet. Ideally I'd like a white one with a white roof and I'm willing to pay up to 3000 for a show condition/good condition one.

What are your opinions on a MKI Cabriolet and are they practicle enough to live with as a first car/work car. I have a MKI GTI tintop track prepared so I can have my fun with that one, I need a car to drive to work and get to Dub shows in. I got an insurance quote for 366 F.C so insurance is fine. Are they as reliable as the tintop? Would you recommend one as a 1st car? Where can I get a very good one? Does it handle as well as the tintop?

Sorry if I'm asking silly questions but I've not had a convertible before and I don't want to get stung.

Karen

X
    Edited by: TurboDubGal

2. Guests Banned

i use mine everyday......i love it....and still looks the nuts next to all the boring repmobiles in the company carpark lol.....

the only thing i have found to watchout for is on the bulkhead where the clutch cable comes through they tend to split the metal and pull through.....German and Swedish do a plate.......

PS the brake are not very good at all....i suggest changing the vacuum to a MK2 16v one and master cylinder....then put some 280mm disks and calipers on......then she will be sweet......

hope this helps....
    James

3. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

i bought mine as a daily driver, just lowered in on FK coilovers, the 16v servo and master cylinder are going on soon and the 2.0l 16v ABF is going on soon [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]
    [​IMG]

4. AlexB Forum Member

Those wheels suit any golf!! soup-herb!

5. TurboDubGal Forum Member

Thanks, cheers guys.

You've made my mind up to get one. Going to look next weekend at a helios blue one. I can't wait.

Cheers.

Kaz

X

6. stew72 Forum Member

My missus used hers all year round with no problems until the patter of tiny feet came along. The boot is a similar size to the tintop but access is crap, thats about the only drawback I can remember. The brakes were fine, but it was only a 1500 [:D]

Don't bother throwing money at big brake upgrades until you're sure the standard set up is working like it should, and even then your best upgrade for the money is mk2 16v servo/master cylinder and 256 discs with calipers and carriers off mid 80's audi coupe/90.

7. Dave J Forum Member

I used to have a Golf cabriolet that got used every day. I t was fine apart from when its pi55ing it down, you are in stuck traffic and the car is steaming up. As soon as you open the window slightly you get wet cos theres no rain gutters like on a tintop. apart from that I had no problems.

8. AMY

Amy Forum Member

cant wait to get mine back from mr buckley ;)

i shall expect mine to do over 500 miles a week in the summer [:D]

how many miles do you live from the office karen?

9. MK3_GPP Forum Member

I miss mine, excellent fun in the summer

[​IMG]

10. Welsh Sheep Forum Member

The 1.8 Clipper is very underpowered and sluggish