After guidance, Fitting an AGU engine to a VR6 Corrado

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by AlmostGTI, Sep 4, 2022.

1. AlmostGTI New Member

Hi all, hope someone out there could cast a light on my built, this is my first one and at this stage, just gathering all the parts required.
    I am keeping the O2J box from the MK4 cause it is 5 speed with 100mm cups, so its the mount I would need that I am after?
    The AGU engine will go in a VR6 Corrado so a VR6 subframe? which mounts will I need or would I be better off going with a MK3 GTI sub frame? that seems to be a popular choice.

Any advice or tips welcomed.
    Before someone goes why do that to a VR, I bought the VR as an empty shell with nothing in it, I was after a descent shell, which it is, dry stored for years.

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Subframe is the same on the mk3 based cats so keep original one, then use mk3 mounting brackets for the o2j /o2a and 4 cylinder, a 1.9 tdi would give the right combination.
    I have a rear tdi engine mount spare if needed.

3. AlmostGTI New Member

Hi mate, really appreciate the reply, thanks.
    Just so I understand this correctly, the engine and gearbox together has 3 mounts, one to the left rear if you look at the engine from the front of the car, this is the one that fits where steel intercooler pipe use to sit,at the back of the engine, this is the one you have, correct?
    Then the second I assume is to the front, currently I have no mount there at all, and I think my Corrado doesn't have the cross bar there now either so I will have to get one and a mount, are there existing holes somewhere on the engine then? Also is that the mount you mentioned to get for a MK3?

Final one, and the 3rd mount which I believe is gearbox end, which mount do I use there?

What about the existing engine mount which is on the left of the AGU engine, do I not use that one?

As for driveshafts, I was told my gearbox will have the 100mm cups, where do I measure the 100mm from, cause the cups measures about 115mm.

Yes I'd be interested in the mount, got anything else left?

4. dodgy

If you look into bay from front, the rear left is the engine mount, rear right is gearbox mount then at front of engine bay, slightly off centre rightwards is the front mount, this bolts to front crossmember and gearbox. There will be 2 mounting points on the subframe along with the steeringrack, may have the rubbers in, or just points depending if they removed them when engine extraction took place.
    If the drive flange on gearbox has m8 bolt holes then that's the 100mm, larger is the 108mm. Basically measure across the flange, and it's either just over 100, or just over 108mm. My tdi mk4 box had 100mm standard, but the other box I had came with 108mm, one Allen bolt holds them in place and can swap over.

I have a standard tdi rear engine mount, and one I started grinding to clear oil pipe, I actually ended up using a set of boost fabrication mounts, Basically gearbox rear was same £ as second hand o2a one, and the rear engine is made from flat steel and clearance of oil feed is far better, (plus I didn't have to swap to a mk3 subframe in my mk2) and I used one of their front mounts as mine was originally an auto so didn't have a usable bracket.

5. dodgy

Last edited: Sep 4, 2022
  6. dodgy

Pinched from @saladman thread, here's some pics of a mk3 subframe, and closer pics of mount rubbers, left is for engine, can just see to right the gearbox one, obscured by a pipe Screenshot_20220904-204216_Chrome.jpg

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah so as its a VR6, its MK3 mounts all rounf. you can keep the bracket from the VR6 gearbox, you just need a MK3 Golf front and rear ABF or TDI brackets, plus Polo or Caddy TDI, SEAT Ibiza/cordoba/toledo ABF/TDI/20v

part numbers are 1H0199273B or 6K0199273 for the front bracket, 1H0199354B or H for the rear