Aftermarket Coil Pack

Discussion in '8-valve' started by sdall30, Feb 2, 2012.

1. sdall30 Forum Member

I'm looking for a decent (performance) coil pack for a 2L 8v engine ( mk3 GTI) I've had a good old search of the general internet but have come up blank , Anybody out there have any suggestions and suppliers ?

Thanks Stuart

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if it was me i would convert it to use mk2 golf bosch coil + tci. much more reliable and plenty good enough for anything you care to throw at it

3. sdall30 Forum Member

how do I do that then ? please

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

get a mk2 coil mount it where mk3 coil used to be, bin mk3 coil. get a mk2 TCI and mount it in scuttle near the ecu or somewhere it will stay cool.

cut mk3 coil plug off, bin the brown wire. crimp a spade on the mk3 coil black wire, pop to coil +. mk2 tci loom has black wire for coil +, green or red/black for coil -ve. splice the green/red wire from mk3 coil to pin 6 of the tci. then theres the long earth to battery -ve, you could just splice this to the old mk3 coil brown wire actually if its easier.
    finally if its carb or k-jet 8v tci loom you'll have 2 wires left over from the old dizzy plug, these can be binned.

done :thumbup: