agg into abf - to squirt or not to squirt

Discussion in '16-valve' started by huw169, Jan 16, 2014.

1. huw169 Forum Member

Hi all
    The regulars on here will have read or helped on my +0.5mm pistons thread, but for those that missed it...
    I bought an abf for my mk1. On stripping it, the top of the cylinder bores were heavily worn to top limit. Re-bore and pistons easily 600 pounds, but just not worth it. Solution to source another block - agg or ady. (Not sure why 2E wouldn't do it, but no one suggested it)

So, agg block sourced and stripped. Reason for the post???
    The agg doesn't have oil squirters, but the abf does.

I know they squirt oil into the base of the piston to help keep the piston cool/lubricated under high loads and operate at approx. 45 psi (or so I'm lead to believe)

Do I need oil squirters?
    If so, can they be retro fitted to the block? I don't fancy this option, but not seen the agg in the flesh yet - my father has stripped it...
    I'm not building a race engine here, just a fresh abf. I don't want to create temperature or reliability issues.

Does anyone know how much use they are really??
    Are there other solutions such as an external air oil cooler to reduce temps (I have heard the std water oil cooler is a bit weak)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Huw

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

My first race 2L16V was a converted 2L8V. (ABF hadn't arrived, 9A's were too dear, at the time) It took a whole load of abuse without squirters
    Jon

3. huw169 Forum Member

Thanks guys.
    I haven't seen the stripped block yet (tomorrow!) but if the oil gallery is there, which I hoped it would be as the block casting should be the same as abf, then i'll get them tapped in by the machine shop.

I also believe they are not absolutely necessary Jon, but if I can fit them easily enough then that's what i'll do. There are lots of differing opinions on this on the Porsche, Subaru and Volvo (?!) enthusiasts sites...

A lot of people agree though, only a 'real' benefit on a highly tuned motor. Maybe the rumour about an abf being destined for greater power when it was concieved are true then....

4. huw169 Forum Member

Machine shop refused to do it muttering something about clearance issues.
    So I did it my self in the garage.

[​IMG]

Not too hard, but my ar*e was twitchin'.....

5. Mik Wid New Member

Just seen this! Hats off to ya for putting your balls on the table and going this at home!