Agu 20vt head on to Tfsi Block ???

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by sambo, Oct 4, 2012.

1. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Looking at a possibility of creating an easy 2.0l 20vt by mating a 20v head on 2.0l Tfsi block

I have the block in the garage and have offered the 1.8T gasket to it and it is exactly the same so in that respect head will fit

Just wondered if anyone have looked into this? Will pistons need valve pocket(s) machining in? What size are the headbolts M10?

I know the 20vt oil pump assembly can be mate to fit fairly easily so the sump will fit to and that would mean removing potentialy problematic oil pump and balance shafts set up from tfsi

Any info welcome :)

2. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

It can be done , but its not a straight drop on
    i looked to mount a 16V head on an FSI block , then the cam pulley need to come about 9 mm
    more outwards to line up with the crank pulley , need to see if this is also with AGU 20V head

Might also need an other timing belt with different lenght ?
    Most likely you need 20V pistons
    the OEM TFSI rod is tapered at the small end
    FSI Head bolts are 10 x 1,5 mm,

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  3. MelG60 Paid Member Paid Member

You need a cam pulley from a 06A 20v (BAM/APX/AGU etc) (The same as with fitting a 16V head to a 06A block) I don't see the need for a different timing belt? You can machine the FSI pistons for valve cutouts and a slightly deeper dish. Also you can machine them to fit normal (not tapered small end) rods. I looked into this closely a few years ago but ended up using 2.0 20v stroker pistons.

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks for replies lads

Well swapping cam pulleys is not a problem either as i have plenty, lol

I also know that Tfsi block has another tapped oil hole for turbo feed which is handy

But coolant lines and thermostat are ment to be a bit of a problem if i remember it correctly?

Block is ment to be beefier then 06A as well as having bigger main caps which is a bit of a bonus if chasing big power at later date

Got some rods that i can machine taper same as standard rods whilst pistons are beign done so that is not a problem

Just wonder if pistons have enough meat on them?

Also compression is quite a bit high so with machining done it should still be higher then 20vt engines so drivability and spool will be great :)

5. MelG60 Paid Member Paid Member

I made a steel adapter to run the 20V 06A oil filter housing. If you take the "ears" off the FSI pistons you have ~ 9,8:1 c/r (if my memory is correct) i measured the piston's and you have enough meat to machine them to ~9:1. The big steel main caps are a bonus for using this engine.

6. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

9.5:1 CR would be ideal for me for what i have in mind

I have a spare stroker JE 82.5mm piston that machine shop can use a guide for height and valve pocket cutouts so i think it is doable

Need to find somone in UK who can do the work

7. INA

INA Forum Member

Bolts right on but it will no advantage other than being a 2.0 TFSI block...
    Better off with the 1.8T lump and using the 92.8mm stroke crank