Air con in MK2

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by bytor, Nov 27, 2003.

1. bytor New Member

I've got air con as standard in my MK2 - lately it seems not that cool - could this mean it needs to be re-gassed? There's not much difference between having it ON and the air temp outside?

2. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi - I've got aircon on my Mk2 as well, had the same symptoms as you so I got it checked and it needed regassing. You can't get the old gas any more that was originally used so the system needs converting to the newer type gas, R134a I think. Anyway, this just involved getting a couple of different valves fitted, the system drained and re-pressurised, then re-gassed.

It cost 90 I think for the whole job - works a treat now! I just called a mobile guy out of the yellow pages and he came and sorted it at my house [:D]

Let me know if you need any more info.
    Edited by: StuB

3. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

wish i had air con in my mk2 [:D]

4. MattECD New Member

Check to make sure the compressor pump is switching on. With the engine running listen at the compressor side of the engine. Let someone switch on the a/c. There should be a click and the compressor comes on.

Otherwise likely to be low refrigerant as StuB suggests

5. bytor New Member

Got the car re-gassed for 100 bucks (40 quid) so - can't complain there. It's like a fridge now!! They added a bit of colured dye to - that way if there is a leak it will be easy to spot in the future. :)