Air Flow Meter Problem VF-Engineering

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by eViL, Apr 5, 2004.

1. eViL Forum Member

Right then..

The charger's K&N filter was fitted on the end of a 1.5 foot long pipe, so that the air flow meter wasn't receiving any 'air return' and getting all confused.

Unfortunately, the pipe has started leaking, and now when it rains, water is getting sucked in.. I'm concerned that too much pooe is gonna get chucked into the throttle body from behind the filter (where the leak is)

I'd like to get rid of the pipe all together, however I need to somehow Bypass the Air Flow meter..

Would it be viable to put the air flow meter in a pipe that feeds into the filter rather than feeding FROM the filter?

Anybody even know what I'm on about?:p

2. D4RK1 Forum Member

Easy Ad

Dont some filters come with a 'spout' to plug the air flow meter into? Think ive seen these on the Piper Cross filters.

3. eViL Forum Member

Not sure mate.. the air flow meter is a right meaty old thing, so unless the filter actually has an air flow meter inside, I doubt it..

might be completely wrong though..

4. D4RK1 Forum Member

you can have a look at mine next time were out mate.

Ive got a dynatwist on mine and the air flow meter fits onto it via a big hose (as big as the intake).

5. madmk4 Forum Member

Just stick a new bit of shorter pipe on there with the air flow meter after the air filter.The air flow meter should ideally be as close to the buterfly as possible.
    Edited by: madmk4

6. eViL Forum Member

I moved the air-flow meter closer to the charger, however.. the re-circulated boost was confusing it.. causing the car to cough, splutter and stall occasionally.

I disconnected the idle stabliser valve and et voila! It works fine.. so far. Even feels much smoother and faster on boost now.

Only problem is.. car will be cack when it's cold. So I'm going to fit a switch to the idle valve so I can switch it off once warm. :)