Air Impact Wrenches

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Mike_H, Aug 13, 2012.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

This is a very good point. I know my clarke one can produce more power but i don't have a large enough bore pipe to allow it. You also need large fittings or its pointless stepping it down to a smaller diameter.
    My compressor can cope with it (Industrial). I have lots of air blowers to blow swarf off your work bench and you notice the difference in pipe bore lots.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Agreed - I'd more or less reached the same conclusion. I only use my air regulator / water trap for spraying. Otherwise I use the feed straight from the tank and oil the tools manually, on every day I use them.

I have one auto-retracting air line on a reel, which seems to be restricting the flow more than others - I have had it apart and changed the sealing washers too, as it was leaking slightly. Old fashioned type lines seem a little better, but I'm still thinking that I need to step it up a size - either that or the gauge on my compressor is over-reading how much pressure it has.

Glad I didn't spend hundreds of pounds on the good brands, (Edit: having got them 2nd hand at good prices) but will report back when I've done some tests on a bigger airline.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  3. TJ2727 Forum Member

A larger bore pipe is quite cheap as for the size of the fitting on the end a smaller fitting dose not reduce the flow anywhere as much as you think next to a small diameter air line.

one other thing to keep in mind that the longer the air line the larger the pressure drop you get. If you are working 3m from the compressor then no point in running a 15m air-line.

Many well set up commercial set up’s will have solid 25mm air feed lines on the wall with short drops to the actual connector for the flexi air line to plug into.

You need to keep in mind that if a supplier has stated that impact gun ‘X’ can knock out 500lbf then it must have been measured at this at some point, if it can not undo a wheel nut that is at say 75lbf then there is something wrong.

would be good to hear back how you get on, good luck.

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

5. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Lovely bit of kit, but I abuse mine so would never spend that muchlol

6. murph81 Forum Member

Ingersoll Rand stuff is top notch.

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

8. possle Forum Member

9. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

yes it is my 1/2 " drive will undo mk 4/5 hub nuts and i know it will tighten to 300nm as i work on trains and this is not un common keep em oiled and they will last for ever mine is second hand cant remember how old it is or where i got it from it takes no prisonors!

10. Collie Forum Junkie

Mate at work has one of these i have seen it undo wagon wheel nuts.

i have an old chicago pnuematic one and its slowly dying a death. Think i may go for one of those too.