Alarm going off!

Discussion in 'Security' started by Viper, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Viper Forum Member

I have some cobra alarm fitted to my mk 2 with a compact plus immobiliser. Had the car over a year and the alarm has never played up.

BUT the last three mornings the alarm has gone off and woken me up! The strange thing is that it has been around the same time every morning! About 9 am. Really annoying and pi**ing off the neighbours too I think ;) .

Would it be anything in the car that is setting it off or interfering with it? There is no one messing about with it as far as I know, besides the alarm is only a contact one I think so when the doors are opened etc (i.e. crap!). I have had a problem with the boot light recently, the switch for the light has cracked away from the housing so I had to glue it back in (albeit a bodge) but when i check car the light is not on in the boot!

Any help greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Rob

2. Studweiser Forum Member

Any sort of diagnostics on this alarm you can access that may give you some clues?

3. Viper Forum Member

Not that I know of [:s] . I wouldn't know how to access it if there was something though! What can I look for?

Is there anything like this that you have come across before? It didn't go off this morning (sunday) but the last three days around the same time it did!

Cheers for any info.

4. Admin Guest

sure it isn't some one trying it on?

5. Viper Forum Member

Why, is it you mate? ;)

No one messing about cos we live in a cul de sac and gravel drive and can't hear anyone. No one from around here would try it... they wouldn't dare :lol:

6. Madbloke Forum Member

Check the boot and bonnet contacts for the alarm --- if the bonnet sensor is all rusted try and sand the contacts or maybe get a new one, they aint that expensive.

This was the prob I had with mine and again it was relativley intermittent ie not as soon as the alarm was set but normally mid way through the night it would go off

7. Viper Forum Member

Hmm will have a look, although never managed to determine where the contacts under the bonnet were. The boot light switch is dodgy so could be this but when I look into the boot after i switch the alarm off the light is not on, so am confused ???!

Will check.... was 5.30am today [:^(] [:x]

8. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

im having a similiar problem with a concept 50. Stud suggested its likely the bonnet switch due to the diagnostics the alarm is giving me (which u doin't have) his suggesting is to cut the wire or remove the wire to the sender on the bonnet to test if the alarm still gives a problem....

maybe that would work for you 2?

9. Viper Forum Member

Have just been out and had a look and can see absolutely nothing that represents a contact sensor on the bonnet, or the boot for that matter. I set the alarm with the boot open and my finger on the boot light button. Waited for about a minute and a half then let go and nothing! I dont even know how this alarm even works now! I think it just goes off when it wants!

I really have no idea now! [:s]

PS - What do the bonnet / boot sensors look like on your cars? I assume its either a push switch or a contact sensor?!

Cheers all.

Rob

10. Steve B Forum Junkie

i am having the same problem with my ai606 the last three nights the alarm has gone off three times yesturday and once last night its really p****** my dad off

i also have the problem that i can arm the car with the doors open and the alarm dose not realise with the boot or bonnet open it chirps to let me knwo a circuit is open.

it is ok security wise because if the doors are unlocked the alarm sounds, but why wont they when it opens?

im going to check my bonnet sensor as the other say i sat on my bonnet and the alarm went off im wondering if ive broken the switch some how

11. Madbloke Forum Member

Hmmm --- Lots of probs then.

OK -- regards the switches it depends what switch it is.
    a cheapo after market one or the origin manufacture one.

Some fitters will wire direct to the light switch itself either boot or interior, this means the alarm goes off when the door is opened but only because the interior light comes on. So if the interior light is blown then the light cant come on when the door / boot is open therefore the alarm wont sound. Try setting with a door open and boot open to see if it gives a different audible tone to show that something is open.

On the missus car the alarm beeps if its set with a door open....so i left interior light on a nd set alarm with doors shut and got the same beeps.
    The aftermrket sensor is a plastic push switch --- you fit to the car then cut off amount required for it to fit properley.

12. Viper Forum Member

Mine doesn't have an audible tone at all, just two flashes for locked and one for unlocked! Still haven't found the source of the problem either [:^(]

Locked my car first time in a week last night and didn't go off at all... except when I got in the shower this morning! Piece of crap [:x] :lol:

Getting really annoyed now... what an idiot for de-locking it!!

13. Steve B Forum Junkie

wouldnt that mean if you switched your intirior light on your alarm would go off? seems a bit dum

i delocked mine not to long ago then my central locking motor gave up had to brake a window to get in.

just refitted the drivers side now just incase

but my alarm still keeps going off and its working range seems alot less (i tried with both key fobs incase it was the batteries) and it just seems really slow compared to before gonna take it back next time im home and see what they say