Alarm Issue - Piranha

Discussion in 'Security' started by GolfD, Feb 19, 2014.

1. GolfD Forum Member

I've not had my car long but today I must have had the radio on for too long as I worked on it and drained the battery.
    When I tried to start it it tried but wouldn't start, then the alarm went off for a bit, and again when I open or shut the doors.

I called the AA out because I have no idea. He used a small key found on my car key set [:$], put it in the top of the alarm box in engine bay and turned it off?
    It's a piranha alarm, can't find a model number.

Does anyone know if this will definitely stop the alarm going off again in any event (ie If the battery drains again)

2. eightieshatches Forum Member

it won't go off a lot of old school alarms had a key slot to switch it off. I had a piranha in my xr2 years ago that had it.

GolfD likes this.
  3. aminder

aminder CGTI Committee - Webmaster Staff Member Admin

Find the fuse for it. Some old alarms when fuse for alarm was removed did not immobilise the car. I found this when I had similar issue with siren going off on dead battery

GolfD likes this.
  4. neil kaye Forum Junkie

quite a few alarms work of a voltage drop system, for example when armed and you enter the car, the interior light comes on and the alarm senses the voltage drop and goes off. So if your battery goes flat the alarm will go of continuously (depending on how flat it is of course) As already mentioned its possible if you take the rubber or plastic cover off the back of the alarm you should have a key slot and you can manually over ride it but also keep the immobiliser part of the alarm switched off. If the car alarm was fine before this happened ,the chances are the alarm is ok, although having to put the fob next to the alarm suggests to me like the range of the transmitter has dropped, normally inside the fob there is a small Trimming screw in the circuit which you can alter in very small increments to get a better range

GolfD likes this.
  5. GolfD Forum Member

It also managed to lock me out, even though I didn't think it had central locking?!

I didn't even know the car had an alarm before this happened [|)]

All I want is to switch it off perm and for it not to immobilize the car. I'm going to try to start the car this morn and see what happens.

6. neil kaye Forum Junkie

sounds like it is wired to the cenral locking but from what your saying it would be best if you took the whole thing out, you need to find someone that knows what they're doing tho unless you feel confident doing it yourself. Id be happy to do it for you but im in North Yorkshire ( Near Catterick)