Alarm recommendations...

Discussion in 'Security' started by AndyM, Oct 15, 2006.

1. AndyM Forum Member

I'm looking to replace the unreliable Clifford alarm fitted to my car. So, basically, I'd appreciate recommendations on a decent alarm system, for example, Toad. It should, obviously have the usual stuff; motion/shock sensors, interior sensor, battery backup, immobiliser, etc.

Right now, I'm not entirely sure whether a Cat 1 alarm would save me enough on insurance to off set the cost of its purchase and fitting.

Actually, while I'm here, I don't suppose anyone knows what's involved in getting Thatcham approval/training to fit Cat 1 alarms? I've already fitted loads of alarms, and have also had VW training, and would rather fit the alarm myself than let some other numbnuts bugger it up.

2. noms2000 Forum Member

I used to have a Clifford Cat 1 which I wasnt very impressed with, now I have a Cobra Cat 1. Its a no nonsense, does what its meant to, decent security system. Obviously, it has alarm, immobiliser, shock sensor, interior sensors, battery back up and total closure. No nonsense and no gimmicks. Check their website for more info: www.cobravehiclesecurity.co.uk

3. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Toad Ai606 excellent ! No more said !

4. AndyM Forum Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

Well, I've been to a couple of insurer's web sites tonight, and it seems to some, it makes no difference - tried direct line and Tesco (they have the same basic interface...) and tried with VW's standard immobiliser, the clifford, a couple of cobra models and the Toad Ai 606 - it made no difference to the insurance cost...

However, on the AA, it saved me about 29, but they are expenisve anyway.

I'll try my current insurer tomorrow, as their site only does quotes between certain times of the day, which is a bit rubbish.

But so far, if on average you have the car for three years, it's hardly worth the extra money. For me, at least...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  5. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

ai606 here too

total closure, pops boot open etc :thumbup:

6. oak8vgti Forum Member

ai606 too, total closure to be fitted but all is very good.

as for the insurance, you might find it doesnt lower the cost but if not fitted the insurer might not cover you for theft of the vehicle, ive had this in the past and they will insure for anything else but not theft untill the alarm is fitted

cheers

7. Scarabeo New Member

I have a Cobra Connex fitted, had it on my V6 Motion and now transferred to my R32. reliable and informative, though not cheap I'm afraid.

8. MotorGuard Forum Member

If you have a Clifford then make sure you go to an authorised dealer. If fitted right clifford is by far the best security system out there. We are authorised dealers for all major alarm makes and Clifford is the most popular. Your other option can be the New Viper 480XV Cat 1 with a LCD pager based alarm. We have this alarm on special for 299 fitted.

www.motoguarduk.co.uk

9. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Does anyone know how much it would cost for total closure to be added ?

10. oak8vgti Forum Member

if you're any good with electrics then just the cost of the unit, they are on ebay for 35, if not you'll prob pay around 70-80 for someone to supply and fit, just a rough guess.

11. mk1steve Forum Member

my car came witth a toad [:D] not sure which one but, so far no probs and impressed with it :)

12. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

i can get you number off Tommy that fitted my alarm - he's based in back street in partick, but the best at his game. not unknown for main dealers to use him too apparently.

and he's cheap :thumbup:

13. mothy Forum Member

as you have already worked out - clifford is just a good name but shiite systems tbh - speaking from personal experience.. & my current clifford works perfectly..

14. MotorGuard Forum Member

What year is yor golf? New golfs have closure built on the car and its not much trouble wiring it of the alarm. We do it for free if you already have a closure module factory fitted but some may charge you upto 25-35 to wire it off the alarm

www.motorguarduk.co.uk

15. oak8vgti Forum Member

how do you wire it into the car if its built into the alarm???

cheers

16. oak8vgti Forum Member

noone knows i take it????

17. oak8vgti Forum Member

cheers for the none help

all sorted now