all electrics?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by d4ve, Dec 27, 2003.

1. d4ve Forum Member

im starting to hate my vw.
    woke up this morning to find the drivers side electrics dont work. e.g. windows, mirrors.
    when i push the button for the windows to go down, i can hear a clicking sound meaning u can still hear the motor but the windows dont go down. then i find my sunroof dont work too. [:^(] the only electric working is the passenger side window.

oh and also i had a flat battery, something was causing the battery to go flat, they say its something do to with electrical fault. we disconnected the alarm to see if it was the alarm but it wasnt. can anyone pls help?

2. andy_hot New Member

Dave! Sounds like you went to bed with something eating out your battery current!!! Left lights/radio etc on? Your best bet to start your diagnostics will be to recharge your battery fully or change the battery and if all fails (no windows working etc) start looking at your electrics or even the status of your alternator.

3. d4ve Forum Member

i sold my headunit last week, so i have no sounds. i got the AA to check it out, they said there's some sort of eletrical thing flattening the battery, may be an electrical fault somewhere.

4. bigfatpixey Forum Member

easiest way to find out would probably be to charge your battery, plug it in with a Ampeater [:D] between the live feed and the battery and then see how much current its pulling when nothing is turned on, if its pulling a lot of current try disconnecting one thing at a time to see if it goes away.

you should get a small current loss from things like the clock, radio memory and alarm but that wont be very much.

Edited by: bigfatpixey