Alternatives instead of the fuel pump housing

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Knugen, Mar 4, 2023.

1. Knugen New Member

Im starting to look for alternative solutions other than the external housing for the fuel pump, I hate the idea, and I hate the design.
    Plastic+nordic countries+salt=disaster after 30 years.

The bolts look like they mutated, and its only a matter of time until it will break off
    The fuel filter house cap is cracked too, its hold together by a ziptie...

What is the best alternative here?
    I just dont understand why it cant be like MK3, the high pressure pump in the tank right of the bat? With built in non return valve

Refitting a MK3 fuel pump housing into the MK2 tank, would that work in any way?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The usual thing is just to fit a mk3 tank.

3. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

In PVW a couple of months back someone was reproducing the MK2 fuel pump housing, I’ll try and find some details and remember which PVW it was in.

Found it

Attached Files:

4. Knugen New Member

Yes, however does the MK3 in tank housing fit the MK2 tank?
    Because if so, I heard rumor that the best way to go is Walbro/044 Bosch and put it in the MK3 fuel pump housing to meet the high pressure need for K jetronic

Yeah I have seen that, but the price is not justified whatsoever, that price is literally 1/4 of the whole 16v car I bought, only if I win on a lottery that price is justified.

5. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

Price is eye watering but its an option it all fails and you win the lottery.

Zender Z20 likes this.
  6. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Big bucks indeed, but as you say if absolutely all else fails at least there's a final option to keep your car going.

Have you seen the price being asked for used ones, that's genuinely shocking!

7. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I am going to fit an aftermarket in tank pump into my BMW as I am fed up with the external screamer. The one I will get is 3bar which should be enough for the kjet? I have to say though, the mk3 tank swap is so easy why wouldn’t you?

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

6 bar System Pessure for K-Jet iirc?.

9. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Mk3 tank as @PhilRyder says is easy, pretty much straight in, just electrical plug swap and play with fuel lines.
    The only trouble I had was my first one came from a scrapyard where they usually drill a hole to drain them so the fix didn't last long on a plastic tank.

What about using the original pump mounting points (mk3 fuel filter also bolts to these) and make a bracket to take another pump, metro turbo, mini turbo (and capri i think) used to use high pressure pumps just mounted in a big P clip and bracket on rubber cotton reels.
    On my supercharged mini and minor I used a facet hp pump mounted on flexible bases to alleviate the buzzing.

10. Knugen New Member

I dont know but some of you seem to forget that K jet constantly NEEDS to have at least 5,4 bar according to Bentley manual.
    Doing a MK3 tank conversion, sure, it fits, but the issue is I need to have a pump that does the 5,4 bar, not 4 as the highest is for MK3's

This comes to my question,
    The big MK3 fuel pump housing (the screw lid and everything in the tank)
    (this one: https://cdn.aceauto.co.za/product/a...complete.jpg?scale.width=700&scale.height=700 )

Does this very same one fit into the MK2 tank lid hole? Or is it different dimensions? Do i 100% need the whole MK3 assembly and replace the whole tank?

And the other question, no matter if above question is yes or no, after the new fuel pump housing is in place, will a Bosch 044 fuel pump fit bolt on into the housing? Or alternativley the Walbro one? Because those supply enough pressure

11. Knugen New Member

Or would something like this work as a replacement for the plastic external box;
    www.tinyurl.com/bdeexe6c

As im looking around now, the MK3 tanks are not even easy to come by either...

12. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  13. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Mk3 tank has a much bigger opening.

Decent swirl pot in the front running the high pressure pump might be your best bet.

Or ditch k-jet and run efi.

I modified stock Mk2 hanger to take a Mitsubishi fuel pump for my EFI conversion.

To me K-Jet seems like a liability, you may pay good money for another high pressure pump housing then 6 months later the metering head packs up.

EFI Pumps and Injectors are 10 a penny..

14. Knugen New Member

If I go EFI i need a ABF intake right?

I had in mind that I needed another intake with the injection included in the intake

15. PhilRyder

Exactly why I ditched the kjet on my 911. Replaced with easily available parts at a much lower cost that original parts. A really interesting project as well, not to mention more power.

16. Knugen New Member

How easy is it to do?
    I dont have a garage or driveway sadly

17. PhilRyder

It’s not difficult, just wires, nuts and bolts. I’m not sure I’d do it on the street though as it won’t happen overnight. You’ll need to decide on a system such as Megasquirt and you will need a tuner who won’t charge you a small fortune. I used Megasquirt and if you have a small amount of computer skills you can get it pretty close yourself.

18. Knugen New Member

Only lucky thing is, that its not my daily as of yet.
    So I can let things be overnight, only need to be able to close the hood lol

I have a pal that recommended just Megasquirt, however he said that I would need BBM Billet 16V Fuel Rail and a new throttle body from ABF if im not mistaken

I have really difficult working from "my own mind" and come up with solutions, I need step by step guides for such things, as soon as something is not right, im stuck.
    Since 16v Golf 2 is the first "project" car I own, I dont have much knowledge about coming up with odd and working solutions for stuff

I do have computer skills though but, but no tuner with dyno that i know of, and AFAIK those are super expensive here in sweden :/

19. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I used a BBM fuel rail, different inserts In the lower manifold for the fuel injectors (they just screw out and new ones screw in).

MegaSquirt is a great system but you need a bit of an idea of what's what to fit it all imho. Maybe your friend could help with it?.

K-Jet was good in It's day but just seem false economy chucking a load of money at it.

You could sit a big external in line pump under the car I suppose where the old swirl pot used to sit, would be easier short term. Bosch 044 I think they are called?.

Screenshot_20230306-205430_Samsung Internet.jpg

20. PhilRyder

The great thing about Megasquirt is you can tune it on the road. There is a guy here in the uk who will help you tune your car online, linking remotely. He helped me loads.