Aluminium/steel for roll cages

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by 4 horsepower, Feb 16, 2005.

1. 4 horsepower Forum Member

Hi i'm bodging a seat ibiza roll cage into a mk2 golf, but it doesn't really fit

well the rear legs are narrower and dont meet the rear wheelarches. So i imagined hacking the rear part off but leaving some stumps, which i can sleave new tube over. I have some thick wall ali tube at work and a pipe bender. Do we think ali rear legs would be a bad idea?

car will be mostly road use and occasionally track day

2. hayesey Forum Junkie

use steel if you want to do track days etc... plus the cage will presumably be steel anyway if it's come out of an Ibiza Cup car (off Ebay by any chance?) & I don't think welding ali to steel works too well does it (I've never tried it tbh)?

3. 4 horsepower Forum Member

was thinking of sleeving the ali over the steel stump and bolting/clamping it

didn't a lot of proper motorsprt cages used to be ali up until 10 years ago?

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Yes, but the very reason they got rid of them was that they are brittle in nature and break.

If you're doing a cage, do it with 100% CDS steel, or not at all.

5. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Doesn`t work at all.
    Structurally aluminium can be as strong as steel in some cases but to construct a full cage from ally would be expensive to buy material and even more so to weld.
    Steel is the sensible option when all things are taken into consideration.