amb transponders

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Fasteddymini, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Fasteddymini Forum Member

AMB are the transponder manufacturers and I understand you need either an
    AMB Trans X 260DP (DP = direct power, or a rechargeable one TransX 260R). You can buy direct and I think they come out at around 250 but but I got mine, a direct powered one, from HS Sports in Congleton www.hssports.co.uk at 205 including Vat . The rechargeable ones are a bit more expensive at 225 inc VAT but of course they are removable. My understanding is that these are the only ones MST Sports timing will accept so if you are tempted to buy cheaper ones my recommendation is don't (as they will not give you any times which really scews up qualifying !))
    If you don't buy one then750MC usually have a supply of rechargeable a each meeting (first come first served) I rented one at Mallory last year and at 45 a time thought I would buy one instead and save in the long run. You can sometimes see them on Ebay for between 160 to 180 but of course there's little comeback if it doesn't work or breaks (which they do)
    John

2. quattro64 Forum Member

Good information John, thanks, maybe HS would do a group buy!

Cheers

Guy

3. frank4 Forum Member

Mounting a transponder

Can any of you recomend the best place to mount the required TranX260 DP transponder to a mk2 race car? The regs refer to the make and model of transponder, but there is no mention of the location? (unless I have missed it).

On the instructions included it states that the transponder position must be identical on all the cars in a race...

4. IanCarvell Forum Member

I put mine on the inner face of the n/s chassis leg under the bonnet.....basically as far forward as possible with no metal between it and the track.

Remember race positions are decided by which transponder goes over the line first!!!

My Brother won a race once by 0.03 seconds which at 100mph is only a few inches....the other car had the transponder at the back of the car!

5. asedwell Forum Member

And presumably it should be wired so that it is off when the battery master switch is off ?

6. JamesG60 Forum Member

What Happens then if you accidentally knock your master switch off as you cross the line for your win? :lol: :lol:

7. H5LRW Forum Member

Then you're a muppet!