Amp 12v+ catches fire?

Discussion in 'ICE' started by thegave, Mar 28, 2010.

1. thegave Forum Member

Whenever I try to connect the 12v+ feed to my amp it starts sparking like crazy and bursts into er. A flame. If I disconnect the 12v feed from the battery and hook it up, then reconnect at the battery it blows the amp fuses.

Earth, remote and speakers are already connected. Earth looks pretty good it is bolted to one of the struts at the back of the boot (the ones behind which the boot wiring runs, you know?) and I sanded it back to bare metal.

The amp itself is mounted to a sub box made of MDF covered in black carpeting.

Any idea what's going wrong and how to fix it? I really, really, really want this running. Like yesterday.

If it's any help the amp is a Vibe Blackbox 4. And a Vibe wiring kit. No idea what the 12v inline fuse is rated for but it's the one that came with the kit. The two onboard fuses (that blew) were 25A each.

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Already replied to this on E38 but anyway:

It looks like your amplifier has an internal short across the power supply input. A very common cause is a failed (i.e. shorted internally) final stage transistor / IC.

3. thegave Forum Member

Don't trust Vibe manuals.