Another 2ltr thread

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Martin 16v, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Martin 16v Forum Member

Before I get shot I have searched a lot.

Wanting to stick 2ltr on my KR when it gets rebuilt

Question is now that the 3 6 and 9a are gettinghard to get hold of and if you can they are up for far to much money for something that's likely to be stripped and rebuilt anyway.

I don't want a tall block so would it be easier to opt for 1.9 so just use my original KR and slight over bore with new pistons?

As cost wise this would be cheaper than trying to sorce the 2ltr block.

Power wise I'd like a nice 180bhp area though I'm not going to chase figures as I just want a nice well sorted mk2 with oem looking engine bay just with a bit more go.

What's your thoughts?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

You need a big big overbore to get 2.0 from a 1.8, not really feasible for a road car. You'd be talking of a 4mm overbore.

. Even a nominal 1.9 takes a 2.0 overbore .
    By the time you buy the new pistons, get the block machined and honed , you'd probably be into 2.0 short block money .

A JMR head and cams on your own bottom end, with proper induction and exhaust plus engine management would make a cracking car .

3. Martin 16v Forum Member

I'd only be looking to take the 1800 up to 1900 so that would be 83mm bore out.

I'm not sure on the cost of overbore but I'd only be paying extra for that plus set of suitable pistons as the cost of bearings bolts and seals for a rebuild would be spent out on a 2ltr block plus with my 1800 I know it's a working block

4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

My race engine just recently rebuilt by Hotgolf aka GasNGears is a KR block with ABF pistons and crank with KR rods rebushed with ABF ones .
    You’d then end up with a block very similar to the old skool GTiEngineering RE2000 16V but without the expense of RARE HOLBAY crank

5. Martin 16v Forum Member

I think I'm going to bore my KR to 83mm with a set of high compression pistons giving it just under 1900cc with head from either JMR or Rob Cox

The blocks are becoming very hard to come by plus will need rebuilding so I may as well save some money and use my block