Another bias valve question...

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Sir_Swish, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Sir_Swish

Sir_Swish Paid Member Paid Member

After a search, this seems to have been a hot topic over the years, although I couldn't quite find an answer based on my precise situation...

I have a 1995 mk3 1.4 ABD non-ABS originally with drum brakes, without a compensator valve on the rear axle.

I have fitted a rear axle, rear brakes, front brakes, master cylinder and servo from a 1997 mk3 2.0 ABF, however I decided against fitting the ABS from the donor to reduce failure points, but should I have retained the compensator valve from the donor car?

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

In a word……. yes.

Sir_Swish likes this.
  3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Could use inline pressure reduction valves, think some mk3s used them for rears, different pressures too.
    I have a pair somewhere from a mk1 focus non abs, they are fitted by the master cylinder on them, and may be easier to get hold of.
    Think mk3 ones are fitted in each T piece on lower bulkhead where pipes lead to the back.

Quick search has got screen shot to show positioning

Screenshot_20220425-202053_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220425-202103_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    Sir_Swish likes this.
  4. Sir_Swish

I have these currently on my bulkhead instead of the valve on the rear of the car, will they work sufficiently with the larger brake parts?

5. dodgy

Possibly, think I read there were 3 ratings, vehicle weight dependant I would have thought.
    Sure someone can confirm, but I would have thought it is compatible.

Sir_Swish likes this.
  6. Sir_Swish

It may be that the only way I'll know for sure is to get it back on it's wheels and drive it round the yard to see how it behaves under hard braking.

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah the 1.4 has pressure valves, so see how you go with those. but the rear brakes will probably be more effective than the old drums so may find the rears prone to locking up

8. Sir_Swish

Is there an option to uprate the front brake pressure valve? Failing that, I'm assuming fitting a compensator valve will mean removing the existing pressure valves and brake pipes and starting again. I'm thinking this will be the safer option, but will certainly test my abilities to make brake pipes...

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the front brakes shouldn't have a pressure valve, just one for the rears. the fact you have bigger fronts as well as rears may balance it out though

by pressure valve I mean the inline cylinder thingy in your brake line mentioned earlier, the bigger engined cars have a beam mounted bias valve (if you want one, you need a set of MK3 golf bits as mk2 parts wont fit mk3 beam)

Sir_Swish likes this.
  10. dodgy

When I did my inca and fitted polo rear discs with g60 fronts I didn't alter anything else and was fine even with a light rear end.

Sir_Swish likes this.
  11. Sir_Swish

Ah I misunderstood, I saw there were two pressure valves on the bulkhead and wrongly assumed they were for front and rear! It's presenting a dilemma for sure, the car isn't due on the road for another year so I have time to rip all the brake lines out and start again, but on the other hand, it may all be unnecessary! [8-}]

12. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I ummed and ahhhrred about what to do and in the end I fitted all the standard valve and brackets. It wasn't difficult in the end and only a couple of pipe mods were needed.

13. Sir_Swish

I now feel slightly daft, after some digging on ETKA it transpires that the donor car (having ABS) never had a load sensing valve, so I needn't have lamented scrapping it prematurely... Along with all the information you folks have provided, it's pretty clear what the car needs.

Drums = Bulkhead pressure valves
    Discs without ABS = Rear axle compensator valve
    Discs with ABS = Built into unit

Mine now falls neatly into the second category, so while it's stripped, it makes sense to finish the job right. I'll update this thread with pictures and part numbers once the retrofit is done, in case anyone else has the same problem :thumbup:

dodgy likes this.