Another mk2 digifant problem thread

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by joe.burgess, Feb 20, 2013.

1. joe.burgess New Member

Hi all, although im a new member on here im not new to the forum as i have been looking at all the helpful threads for a while with the various issues ive had previously.

Last weekend i swapped the 1.6 carb engine in my 90s spec mk2 golf for a pre 90s 8v digifant. The conversion went smoothly and all the wiring for fuel pumps etc i made up myself as i decided not to go through the fusebox for less hassle. The car starts and runs however upon cold start it idles like a pig til it warms up a tad, any idead? Not too worried about this however, as the main problem is as follows. When driving, usually after hard driving it will intermittently start kangarooing/stuttering and cut out. If i flick the ignition on and off it fires straight back into life however it is extremely inconvinient.. This problem occured in the donor car before the engine was transferred to my car aswell. I believe its when ive driven over a bump that it happens, which is not uncommon for Sheffield :( can anyone shed any light on this? Ive changed dizzy cap plugs and leads, coil, fuel pump and ecu relays are good, fuel filter is new, wiring is good.

My next irritating problem is that when running it has an awful whining noise from somewhere about the engine. As i tried to cure this issue today by swapping the alternator (which wasnt the cause as when i ran it without the belt the noise was still there) and removing the cam cover to look if it was rubbing, i have now made it worse. Not from the engine side, but now from inside the car :( It sounds like the noise is coming through the clocks but im so confused. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this or has any ideas as to what it may be?

In advance thank you so much for any help anyone may have, it will be greatly appreciated as im so fed up with my car right now lol