Another Steering Rack Question..

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Chris-DTR, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Chris-DTR New Member

Hi guys,

I am swapping the PAS rack for a manual steering rack on my '89 16V.. i know about the uj, and the gaiter etc. I will remove the power steering pump, do i also need to change the pulley on the water pump to the non-power steering one, and get a different belt?

I did have a quick search on here to see if i could find the answer, but couldn't find it. Sooo.. sorry if this has been asked a million times before. :thumbup:

Thanks,
    Chris.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

iirc there are 2 setups 1 uses a sold pulley on waterpump the other has slipper pulley. if its solid pulley you're ok i think as it runs off the alternator belt but if its slipper pulley that will want changing

3. VAG

VAG Forum Member

off subject a bit

the rubber doughnut thats sits on the steering rack where the uj boot clips over, can you sell me it please i can f find one any were :(

4. Chris-DTR New Member

Thanks John.. i shall have a look at the setup and see what is on there. I think i understand what you mean :)

I will have a look for you, but ive got a horrible feeling it was left on the PAS rack which i exchanged for the new non-PAS rack. I will fish through the garage and let you know [:D]

5. VAG

VAG Forum Member

thanks dude, now obsolete. i bought one from heritage special order last week, they refunded me yesterday they cant get it any more :cry:

6. WillG

WillG Forum Member

VAG, I'll have a look on a couple of PAS racks I've got on Monday dude.