Anti roll bar bushes

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Spacecowboy, May 12, 2018.

1. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

I took advantage of Halfords free suspension and steering check to see what the noise was all about on the front end. Turns out it's simply the anti roll bar bushes.

I've performed a search on here but can only really find that the inners tend to go on forever so don't touch those but it's the outer that need replacing.

I cannot find info on how to replace them though - anyone have advice or a link?

Also am I ok to go poly on these bushes or should I stick with OEM rubber?

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Are these the right outers even though they are listed as inners?

https://m.gsfcarparts.com/429vg0040

Edit: I think I may be confused as to what I need now I realise the outers are those that fit into the drop links. Hmmm not sure which way I should go now. Perhaps replace all? Can I do that without dropping out the subframe? Perhaps on the drive? Or do I need to get it on a ramp?

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

They're inners. All wear, outers are easily changed, you replace the full drop link. Inners are difficult on the drive.

4. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

If they're original drop links with the 19mm nut. Refurbish and fit SuperPro bushes.

I'll get around to doing my own some day [:$]

5. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

I've been reading how you should always refurb control arms rather than go for pattern parts so did also wonder it this applied to drop links too?

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

7. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

Best to get a pair of ramps to do inners, support rear of subframe with jack, loosen front subframe bolts a couple of turns, also loosen the rear ones enough to get the bushes out, but try not to remove them as the subframe may move a bit and bolts will be a bitch to get back in. I had to use two ratchet straps at right angles to pull it back in line. I don't think that problem would have occurred had I jacked up on axle stands though. Also a bit of lubricant helps to ease them in

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Ideally keep the original drop links if you can, they have ice meaty 19mm nuts on. new pattern and genuine drop links come with 13mm nuts on, and pattern ones especially round off really easy when you're trying to tighten them up.

inners make a call on it, jack car up and wiggle the bar. if there is play, replace. if not, dont replace

9. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Definitely play in the bar so looks like I'll do the lot. Best get me a super pro poly bush kit :thumbup:

It also looks like the original drop links. 19mm nuts all the way.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  10. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

I've seen some decent 19mm nut drop links listed for mk2 got (meyle) drop links but they are apparently offset. Is that still right for my golf?

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no the offset ones are for the G60 fitment roll bar, slightly different to the standard mk2 one

12. Spacecowboy Paid Member Paid Member

Ok thanks. I'l refurb my own