Any photos of wire routing under dash?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by WaHoonigan, Aug 27, 2023.

1. WaHoonigan Paid Member Paid Member

Rebuilding an 84 GTI. Fuse panel and most everything connected to it along the dash is no longer mounted it’s all just hanging as seen in photo. If anyone happens to have a shot of what it’s “supposed” to look like, I would greatly appreciate

Attached Files:

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I feel bad for you that no one has answered this. My dash is in but i could take photos from underneath if it helps. I have an 86 GTi

3. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I was hoping someone would reply so I can figure it out too, it’s one of the last interior jobs I have

4. WaHoonigan Paid Member Paid Member

Thank you both. Hoping someone’s documented this part of the journey before. I’ll keep updating here as I figure any of it out.

my biggest concern is there’s a bunch of “clips” that should go somewhere, but I can’t see any where they’d go

5. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

A lot of it clips to the back of the dash, I know that much

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

trouble is its a lhd us spec, not many of us here would have ever seen one as we dont even have the same fusebox or dash shell as you guys got. try on the VW Vortex forum probably have more luck.

for euro CE1 models theres a massive black plug housing which attaches to a metal bracket inside the dash shell, but this isnt there on CE2 dash which has scuppered some people. then you have a load of clips up to of the dash along the inside which holds the loom up which can go missing.

for ce2 the wiring is supposed to come from fusebox up top and across above the cluster, and because of this the loom clips up there are much larger than CE1 versions so its a struggle to fit if you have a ce1 shell, especially if like me you have made a custom loom with even more wires than usual :lol:

7. WaHoonigan Paid Member Paid Member

Thank you for all your replies. Just an update if anyone needs it. I have the fuse panel back where it belongs, but all the screw tabs are broken, so it's zip tied into place. Most of the wires I was able to finesse back into the dash area. I still have a few wires that I haven't yet tried to figure out where they go, but it's getting there.
    Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 2.22.26 PM.jpg