Anybody ever used "Quaife" LSD 

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Passion to Drive, Apr 25, 2008.

1. I have a MKV GTI and thinking about putting a Quaife LSD on it. Anybody know about this stuff??? How does it perform?

2. VR6T

VR6T Forum Member

Is this for road use or track?

3. Thanks for reply. IT's for road use.

4. VWralley Forum Member

the kick ass, best money you will ever spend in a FWD car. Even with low power they make a huge difference

5. Dclarke Forum Member

For road use they are ideal, for track they are compromised but still very good.
    For a fit it and forget it unit, Quaife or Peleguin (?) all day long.

6. quattro64 Forum Member

Are you looking at a true limited slip diff or a torque biasing one? For road use the torque biasing is best and no maintenance. I went for a Peloquin, slightly cheaper, reputedly stronger and it came with the high tensile bolts to bolt the crown wheel on and gaskets. Bought it from the states and it arrived in 7 days. Awesome bit of kit.

7. Thank you all!!!
    A Quaife LSD installed to my DSG cost 2,000 EUROS here in Taiwan. This is why I keep asking whether it's worth it or not.

8. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

some peloquins are breaking their "tensile" bolts/studs... which is a bit alarming.

9. steved Forum Member

Thats good to know i've just bought one so will invest in some ARP Bolts.

10. Admin Guest

under what reasosn though? way to much power going through them?

11. Matt G Forum Member

what about them obx ones that i seen a thread on not too long ago? hotgolf said they were ok and was considering getting one (irrc).

12. you mean there is no big help for track??

13. 16valver Forum Member

No, quite the opposite - they are a big help for track and a huge improvment over the original open diff.

However, a plate differential (Lsd) should be much more aggressive and better suited to track work as a Quaife ATB diff will still allow some slip (wheelspin). Never driven with a plate diff myself though.

The Quaife or Peloquin is great for the road and track though, a good compromise. From what I understand, plate type LSD's are really track only and a pain on the road.

14. Thanks a lot. That really helps.
    Like I said, putting on a Quaife in Taiwan costs 2,000 EUROs, so I better be careful.

15. 16valver Forum Member

HTH :)

As said above, you should have trouble free motoring with a Quaife, no maintenance required unlike plate type Lsd's.

A very worthwhile modification imo, go for it.

16. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I have. :)

I dont find mine a problem on the road (~150bhp KR)... you've just go to remember to hold onto the steering wheel tightly. :lol:

17. badger5

considered a KAZ?

18. s1m0n Forum Member

Best thing you'll ever do to a FWD car!

I currently have a Quaife and I've also owned plate types, the Quaife is "fit an forget" the plate type can need messin with, depends on what locking your running, they all wear at the end of the day...

A plate type on the road is ummm "interesting", as has been said you do have to hang on lol... something that's not been mentioned is the plate types can also help under breaking

For road use I'd say Quaife / Peloquin every time.

Cheers

Simon

19. badger5

whats too much power?
    quaife ones using VW bolts dont seem to break... no matter the power.
    ibiza's never broken one.

20. appreciate it!!