Anyone fitted a gti airbox to a carb car?

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by EZ_Pete, Oct 19, 2009.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

ah but, you simply use the lower half of a digifant, or late 16v airbox. problem solved ;)
    all you would need to do is retrofit the vac air temp sensory thing, you could just chop it out the carb airbox and secure it in the lower half of the digi airbox somewhere, or drill 2 small holes in the side and secure it as per factory

edit: SEAT ABF airbox is a direct fit into a MK2 as well, as is the SPI setup.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

:thumbup: RJ to the rescue again. :)

3. prof Forum Addict

amazing mpg results there pete, i used to get 41 out of a mk2 16v, when utterly skint, by going everywhere at 57mph

my thoughts were that the injection and mapped sparks "should" have better potential than the carb and bob weights etc

4. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Any updates on this, I was thinking about having a go later on and wondered if EZ had any success.

5. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Not yet; still waiting on the mk2 diesel airbox from someone on here. (Think a digi gti one, or one of the other ones RJ suggested would have been easier but hey-ho).

Only thing I will say is that I fitted a new filter in the original airbox on Sunday, and have done very nearly 400 miles since, with fuel gauge sitting a millimetre or two to the right of the -tank point. Gonna be a record tank this, I think. 'Old' filter was only 2-3 months old. This is a really significant effect; and if it's having this much effect on mpg, I can only think it would be dropping off power at a similar rate. Edit: Last tankful worked out at a 'disappointing' 47 mpg. I reckon this one could be 52+.

Edit 2: Well it was a new record, but well shy of what I was hoping. 515 miles, 48 litres, 48.77mpg.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

What have you done to that car?

7. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Well I got it done in the end.

Plenty of bodgery, and a false-start with the (Seat Ibiza) diesel airbox - no warm air feed/flap.

Got a digi airbox for 99p + postage off the bay. Seller had removed the AFM, but that was not required anyway. Bit of hacking of unnecessary plastic from the AFM end, bit of bodgery with plumbing fittings, a tufnol plate and some angle-brackets, and plenty of silicone gloop. Chopped off (a spare) carb airbox and adapted oval to round with a bit of 'blue' reinforced-rubber hose that was kicking about. Convoluted ali hose to link the two, with gaffer-tape to seal it all up.

Then I hacked all the paper bits out of a normal carb filter to leave the rubber rim to seal the old carb airbox in the absence of the normal filter. Plumbed up the mixer flap of the GTi airbox to the thermostat in the carb box (preferring to sample the air temp as near to carb as poss.).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know it's not elegant, but I don't care. Air temps seem as before, so that's all good.
    Car seems to have more 'go' now, but that could be psychological. Too early to say whether it's made any mpg difference.

Airbox is held in place to the only two fixing loops I've found, with tyraps at the moment, presumably there are some proper 'straps' of some sort. What's meant to stop it rocking in towards the engine? Just these two straps? [:s]

S'pose I should tell my insurer?

8. rubjonny

just 2 rubber orings, the bottom of the airbox should have 2 plastic pegs, with rubber washers fitted to them, and these locate into holes in the top o the chassis leg.
    doesnt the top half of the diesel airbox you got fit the digi bottom half then? this is what i did on my mates ABF swap and it fitted on his digi airbox bottom half no bother

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

MK2 GTD Airbox to delete AFM top half as used on my 2.0 8v powered by MS.
    I would expect a similar trend to the results seen in the 16v AIS study if the appropiate modifications are done. FE will improve as well.
    Can be used as an alternative airbox for carb'd vehicle.

[​IMG]
    The lower sections of the airbox are the same. On my vehicle the lower section had the heater flap and air horn removed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The STD airfliter was installed in the airbox.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Complete filter air intake system.
    [​IMG]

10. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Nope, didn't fit, a touch smaller in one or both dimensions IIRC.
    Wish I'd tried harder for a Golf GTD one now (cheers for piccies Toyotec), oh well, scope for later tidying. :)

11. rubjonny

ah missed it was a SEAT one! I found the same with a SEAT Ibiza ABF airbox I got, its ever so slightly different in size to a Golf one. My mate found another SEAT ABF airbox and the top o that fitted perfectly, maybe it was a toledo one?

12. Toyotec

Seat ABF boxes that I have installed over the years are about the same volume but than MK2 ones.

Here is a typical Seat 6K ABF airbox installed in a MK2 conversion. It is taller than the MK2 unit
    [​IMG]
    Notice the difference in space from the headlight compared to the MK2 unit as seen below.
    [​IMG]

13. rubjonny

this is the SEAT ABF one I had in my mates MK2, fitted right on the bottom half of his MK2 digi airbox. Didn't realise there were different sizes otherwise I'd have taken the part number off it!
    [​IMG]

edit: unless my memory is knackered and we swapped the whole lot over (it had a MK2 diesel box before) looking at the pics it does look the same as yours...

14. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Yeah, I think it was a Seat Ibiza Diesel one, not an ABF one, that caused the trouble for me. I'll see if I can get through the snow to the shed and find the part number.
    Edit: "Seat Ibiza 1.9D" handwritten on the top of the top bit, 446 136 85 914 stamped in the plastic, along with "FILTRO 6K9 129 607D" and "ELEM. FILTR 1L0 129 620A". Anyone want it? Bottom half sustained a little damage in the post....

Scratch that, having just seen Toyotec's latest info.

Edit2: Looks like I might have had a bit of trouble getting the hose run bent round to miss the cambelt cover with a Golf GTD one, unless I made a big loop (and not too sure there's vertical clearance for that). Hose connection seems just a bit further towards the back of the bay than my lash-up.

15. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

i have the same setup as Toyotec it all fits nice on a GTI inlet manifold.

have you not thought of using some SPI parts Pete.

16. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

should of just bought one from the dealer
    I recently bought a GTD air box and it came with airfilter inside
    all for a bargain 26 :thumbup:

17. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

That is a bargain!

But as I mentioned in Edit2 of post #34, I think the hose run would've been trickier with the GTD hose connection point. Does the GTD bottom half have a warm air feed?

@drunkenalan: Briefly considered trying to get SPI stuff, but they're not too common are they? Thought a diesel or digi one would be easier to get cheaply/easily.
    The idea of the SPI 'carb' fitting being close enough to fit nicely onto the top of the carb is a bit of an unknown to me also. May be plug-n-play but I don't think I'd be that lucky.

18. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

There should be plenty of SPI mk3s and Polos about in the scrappy.

19. Toyotec

That's how they come.
    Good price too...:thumbup:

20. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

This give you the desired effect on fuel economy?