Anyone fitted an ally fuel tank into mk2?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by c8dhc, Apr 5, 2008.

1. c8dhc Forum Member

I think the lift pump on my mk2 16v track car is on the way out (injection fuel pump noisy/starved of fuel) I don't use the car on the road at all, it is purely for trackdays and I never run much fuel in the car - to save weight but also after events the car may be stood for a few months so no use there being loads of fuel sat around in there (I usually take a couple of jerry cans to trackdays and refill when needed)

So im thinking of upgrading and fitting an aluminium fuel tank instead.

I don't want a very large tank (for reasons explained above) and was thinking about 2.5 gallon? (hoping to get one to fit in spare wheel well)

Im guessing I need it to be foam filled? (does this restrict capacity much?)

Im planning on using it in conjunction with the standard injection pump/housing (in front of o/s/rear wheel) but what is the best pump to replace lift pump with? (im guessing id just link the pump in on the flow from the 'now removed' lift pump, then put return pipe back to new fuel tank?)

I have also heard mention of breather pipes with roll over valves. Where do I get these from + how do they link up?

I have done a seach and gained some info about this but wondered if anyone else has pictures/diagrams/advise they can offer me before I get started on this?

Cheers, Dan

2. steved Forum Member

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

From Demon Tweeks / a Motorsport factors.

Take a vent line from the top connection on the tank, run to an elevated, external location and install the valve (I`ve run mine (Mk1) up into the offside wheelarch).

It allows the tank to breathe in normal use but if the car becomes inverted it will prevent fuel leaking out.

4. c8dhc Forum Member

Chuffin heck! 100 for those rollover breather valves at Demontweeks!

I have built my car on a tight budget so the searching began.....................

I have found that motorbikes incorporate the same sort of valve on their fuel tanks. I don't need anything fia approved as car is not used for anything competative and the size of tank I intend to use will be similar to that of a motorbike. Surely a good solution at 6.50?

Have been searching around for pumps but struggling to work out which I need? How many psi do i need to replace lift pump? Facet seem to be popular:

FACET COMPETITION FUEL PUMP SS503 / 40107, 12V negative earth, 7-10 psi, max flow rate 34 gallons per hour, Dri prime hieght 0.3 metre, 1/8 Nptf thread, THESE PUMPS ARE BEST SUITED TO BE POSITIONED NEAR THE FUEL TANK

Any good?

5. steved Forum Member

I've used a non return valve from a bike 5.50

6. Kitsune Forum Member

Hate to jump threads but I have a Forge 8gallon foam filled tank with an ATL fuel sender for sale if you're interested. Unused and ready to go. Although probably much bigger than what you want.

As for the fuel pump, make sure you pick one suitable for injection and not carbs. I've still not found out the difference between solid state and cylindrical and I don't know if this makes a difference.

7. jamesa Forum Junkie

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008
  8. c8dhc Forum Member

Right, got a week off soon so on with this project!

-2.5 gallon foam filled alloy fuel tank arrived today -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=320250358031&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011

-Fuel tank breather (as used on motorbikes) is on its way/should arrive tomorrow.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=300222277648&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=020

Just got a couple of questions if anyone can help me out:

1, As original tank is going i guess i need to replace lift pump with something in-line to feed the injection pump. Im thinking of using one of the following (probably competition kit):

http://www.aldonauto.co.uk/shop/pro...ecord=0&P_ID=131&CAT_ID=0&numRecordPosition=1

2, Im going to need some more hose so I was going to get some braided stuff. As im working before the fuel injection pump im guessing il be ok to use non-injection hose? (this is quite a bit cheaper!)

3, Where is the best place to terminate my breather on a mk2?

9. steved Forum Member

I take it that the Golf's not road legal because you wont be going far with that tank.

10. jamesa Forum Junkie

As said before tank is too small unless you`re trailering and not intending doing many laps at a time.

Is the motorbike breather rated for the higher volume of the car engine vs bikes ?

Suggest you speak to Aldon re the fuel pump, can recommend them

Suggest you consider installing a swirl pot between the first pump and the injection pump i.e. tank - LP pump - swirl pot - HP injection pump - accumulator - filter - engine

Swirl pot helps to maintain a constant reservoir / feed and also acts as the return from the injection system. Swirl pot then vents to tank and tank vents via a `roll over` / breather valve to an external location ... above the tank e.g. offside rear wheelarch - taking care to protect it from being covered in `crud`.

Hose from tank to LP pump to swirl pot to HP pump and for breathers can be standard fuel hose.

Don`t take this as `mandatory, it`s what works for me in a Mk1.

HTH`s

11. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

My car has an ATL bag tank, and uses a Facet pump as a lift pump, that then feeds the standard Golf pump underneath the car.
    Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't worry about the two pumps, they're in parallel as a failover in case one dies, as it's an old race car.
    I've got Facet Blue Tops in the car, red tops should do just fine as well.

12. steved Forum Member

13. c8dhc Forum Member

Not used on the road, just trailered to track, don't need mot/tax/insurance then (see initial thread)

I didn't want a too bigger tank as the car is often sat for months. My local test track is a 1.2 mile circuit and I usally run short stints of about 12-15 laps, after which I top up with a plastic fuel can (approx 1 gallon). Once I get the car set up right then im hoping to do some other tracks, the nearest of which is cadwell park at 2.2miles long so should manage around the same 12-15 lap stints here with my 2.5 gallon tank.

14. c8dhc Forum Member

Someone else above had said they used one of these so im assuming it will be ok?

Might be different on a Mk1. As far as im aware the injection pump has a fuel resevoir on my mk2 - situated in front of o/s/r wheel

Spot on - Il get some on order then. Going to get some of the braided hose end finishers too so that the hoses don't fray.

Dan

15. c8dhc Forum Member

Right, all bits now arrived except for fuel pump.

Does the fuel pump just use a live + earth? If so, anyone know which colour wires on the car I need to connect to? (think there are 3/4 wires on the connector to current lift pump as this unit also incorporates the fuel guage sender)

16. c8dhc Forum Member

Fuel pump arrived today!

Thought id pop the injection pump unit out + give it a quick clen but ended up spliting one of the hoses. GSF wanted 30+ for new hose so visited hydralics place and got myself some fittings and made my own hose up:

[​IMG]

Built my own hose for under 10!