Anyone near Luton that can install ECU's ?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by ShoCk, Dec 12, 2007.

1. ShoCk Forum Member

Right, I dont know whats involved in installing a new ECU but my current ones gone mental I have a 1996/1995 (N REG) MK3 Golf 2.0 GTi 16v ABF...

I'll start right from the begginning so any one reading this thread knows what the story is so far as ive got so many threads on this forum im sure the admin are begginning to get p!ssed off at me (and rightly so lol)...

3 Weeks ago, I randomly had idle problems where the the idle would bounce up to 2500rpm and down so far that it would nearly stall, up until now I have done the following:

Cleaned Throttle Body
    Replaced Idle Control Valve
    Replaced Ignition Coil
    New Distributor Cap
    New Rotor Arm
    New Performance Leads
    New Plugs
    New Fuel Pump Relay
    New ECU Relay
    New Throttle Position Sensor
    New silicone VAC HOSES
    New Breather Hose that connects to the sump

Eventually got it connected to a diagnostics machine and the fault 'Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor' & 'Throttle Position Sensor' came up, but obviously the 'Throttle Position Sensor' has been changed with a brand new one from VW so its been erased from the faults ...

Infact both faults were erased and I found out what the 'Intake Manifold Pressure Sensor' was ... apparently its part of the ECU so I picked up a working pre-owned ECU, a direct replacement to mine, same part number etc (Part No# 037 906 024 AE)

My car has a Cobra CAT1 Alarm & Immobiliser fitted which I have a certificate for, and I dont think this is standard from the factory?

Yesterday I tried opening my car the way I usually do by pressing the button on my key, it just made a weak sound to the usual loud beep it makes before opening all doors but this time it didn't open anything ... had to manually get in. Today morning I disconnected the battery and then reconnected and the alarm went off, so at the moment the batterys disconnected and the cars locked up manually ...

I have had people posting saying you can just switch the ECU's with out any problems ... others saying, your keys will have to be re-synchronised etc etc etc etc etc it goes on and on ...

So what im looking for is some one that can tow my car to their garage (as you can't drive it any more), change the ECU with the working replacement I have and sort this problem out for me? Ive done what I can with no positive outcome.

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

er....you unplug the old ecu, and then plug in the new one.....it really is that simple!

3. AngryBob Forum Member

N reg is likely to need the immob coded to the new ecu though. Anyone with Vagcom can do that for you though.
    Its worth a go though, fit it yourself as above, if it starts and dies then you need it coded, but you can just shove your old one back on to get you going again.

Sounds like your batterys flat dude - probably due to your alarm if youve not been using the car. Give it a charge, and you should be able to drive it again (albeit with the faults you mentioned).

That should get it mobile agin, then swap ecu's. If you do need the ecu coded give vw a call if all esle fails, they'll be able to do it for you, althoguh will charge you too much for it. its easy to swap, so drive it there on the fualty ecu, swap it outside, get em to code it, all done.

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

Ah, never thought of that.....could you not just make sure you get the keyfob to match the ecu tho?

5. AngryBob Forum Member

the chip is in the key. youd need the chip, the reader coil and the immob box screwed behind the dash, but yeah if you swapped the lot it'd work.

6. ShoCk Forum Member

Well I think my batterys dead ... alarms acting weird on me, not disabling and going off etc.

Plus the car doesnt seem to like the new ECU.

Gonna have to change it all back tommorow and then give VW a ring or give AA a call and get them to charge the battery and tow it to VW.