Anyone use Tom Tom (GPS/Sat Nav)

Discussion in 'Sat Nav, GPS, Camera Detectors' started by Jetta, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Jetta Forum Junkie

Seen a tom tom 2 (wired Pocket PC verson) today for under 40 new, any one used one/got one, if so any good? unfortunatly the cable supplied wont work with my PDA but the cables for mine are still avalable, but the shop wont/cant order one.

Just wondering iof thats a good price and if there any good?

Cheers

2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Dunno about the pocket PC version, but we have the Tom-Tom Go.

The screen is very reflective and it took me a while to realise that all the roads that I thought were in Nottingham and couldn't find were actually listed in the county.

Other than that, it's brilliant. Because it's GPS, it also tells you your accurate speed (but written very small).

I've heard that the Points of Interest does/will include traffic cameras.

40 sounds a very good price. Think the one we have was nearly 400.

3. alextgreen Forum Member

There is indeed a free speed camera/blackspot/b*****d van database that is regularly updated.

TomTom itself is excellent.

4. Jetta Forum Junkie

Yeah for 40 I think its worth me getting it, I've found the cables for a HP Jornada 500/928 for about 20 then I'll probabbly need a bigger compact flash card to store the maps on but Ebuyer sell them for about 40 for a 1GB one.

GPS Speed camera database v3.034 ZIP File (last updated 31/03/05
    Works with TomTom GO

* Copy the OV2 and BMP files to your Storage Card into the Country Directory (e.g. \Great Britain) and enable them in the POI screen.

Clickity

5. jamiehol Forum Member

We used tom tom on my mates dell axiam x5 last year to get to and from Le mans, we have also used it for work. All i can say was that it is brilliant for the money.

6. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Thanks, GTD - have just downloaded that, so will have a play around with it tomorrow. (Should be even more fun in the car, what with the Tom-Tom and the RA nagging, the phone ringing, the radio playing....... ;) )

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Tomtom3 is the latest version. If you already have the PDA then its worth checking around for a cheap version of that first. You can also download a speed camera database with POI locations of the speed cameras. This doubles up, giving you full GPS navigation with GPS speed camera alerts. Saves buying a Road Angel and also a Navigation system.

Im just waiting for Tomtom Mobile 5 to be released so i can get Bluetooth GPS Navigation for my smartphone, as the old version of Tomtom mobile isnt compatible with the SPV C500.

8. Jetta Forum Junkie

Got for 39.97 in Dixons[:D], I was surprised as its cheap for them, confusingly it had what looks like a HP iPaq 3.5-2.5 jack plug headphone adapter and USB cable in the box.[:s]

I've also found a cable at PDAmods.com (Part No. ZATTGPSRC) for 21.98 inc vat and postage, just need to find a holder and charger for my Pocket PC now, unfortunatly it dosen't stick to magnets or I'd just get a magnetic phone holder from the pound shop or something and I've seen the chargers for about 6.

I've managed to get a couple of maps on my memory card too, though I'm only going to keep the 16 meg "Newcastle" (covers the entire north of England) map on it till I get a bigger card.

9. Dubya Forum Junkie

We tried tom tom out at work the other day. It was good, but it was still quicker to use a map than have to program the addresses in to the thing.