are EBC that bad

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by tony, Nov 22, 2003.

1. tony Forum Member

as the topic says really (turbo groove discs). seems a few people here aint impressed by the pads (green stuff) although it seems many people slate then on their performance on track, but their site does state they are not for track use. im only going to be using them on the road so the track side of things isnt an issue. main reason im thinking of going for them is conveinience as my local car shop almost totally sell EBC. is this combo a good choice?? (better than standard i hope) and whats a good price?? been quoted 140 all in.
    many thanks

2. Neil G40 Forum Member

I've not had any problem with greenstuff pads for road use.

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I'd go for Pagid fast roads from GSF and Ate power discs from ECP.

Surely they'll be cheaper than 140 for discs and pads - are you still on the 239mm 8v brakes Tony?

4. edc1 Forum Member

Just to say, I'm on new Pagid FR pads again but was on Greenstuffs time before last. I'm quite sure it's the newer compund I used (V4?), and I must admit they are ok, much better than standard, offer marginally more bite when cold than Pagid FR but prolonged brake applications or hauling down hard from illegal speeds is definietly more suited to the pagids. Wear was reasonable, 10k+ of fairly hard fast road use is achievable but I changed them an they probably had up to 8k left in them, so maybe even up to 20k on a set (?).

5. tony Forum Member

yes unfortunatly, was meaning to get 256's from one of a number of passats at the scrappy ive just never got round to it. cant leave it much longer as my last service stated ive got about 1K miles left on the pads and that was ages ago. il check tommorow if this is the case and it may buy me some more time. god why do you people make things soo hard [:^(] why didnt you all just agree :p might even get meself a cordless impact gun, make afternoons at the scrappy a piece of piss and i may just get around to the 256's. all hinges on weather i have the time left. i appreciate all input guys

6. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I've not used EBC, but heard a air bit of negative from people i trust -- with very little posotive.

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

i beginning to think that the new greenstuff may be quite good (from what i'm hearing more and more regularly).

i think the bad feedback came from the old greenstuff pads were awful...they were simply too soft IMO!

i used the older ones, and hated them. they were so soft it made the pedal have long travel, they started smelling under normal driving, and once when i really pushed them friends told me they saw sparks coming from my brakes!!! they also lasted about a week! this was on a mkII punto sporting. i also had a set on my sis's nova and altho they never smelt on there (lighter car) they still gave a longer than ideal pedal (altho not as bad as the punto) and wore out quickly.

so after this experience i wouldn't be tempted to try them again.

8. mr purple Forum Member

I had a set of greenstuf v4 pads in my old car and didn't think the greatest deal about them. They just seem to cook too quickly, maybe it's the drilled discs I use. Standard pads were as good as the greenstuff one, with the v4 i've had the brakes cooked a few times after a good B road blast, maybe it's just my size 14 boot being too heavy, but I wouldn't buy another set.

9. edc1 Forum Member

Are you sure it was the pads? If pads are not bedded in properly then maybe they were glazed? Perhaps your pads are generating too much heat and the fluid is boiling?

10. Admin Guest

the 280m setup will stop the car ;)
    Edited by: Dave

11. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

not if it's made of cheese!

heard bad thing bout ebc from a few places when i was in a rush to find pads before places closed on a friday afternoon!

12. Tanner Forum Member

If your discs are ok then you could just get some cheap pagid FR pads and go for a brake bleed. Then you can upgrade later when you get round to it...

don't think 280s will fit those rims either so kind of limited to 256mm really...

13. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Gary got the 280mm setup under his cups, took a bit of fiddling to do it though?

If you`re stuck for bits I`ve got the old 256mm setup in the garage..

14. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You need to use 5mm spacers ( not ideal as the wheel isn't centred) and take some material from the edge of the caliper to use 280s and ATS cups.

15. pictonroad Forum Member

Just to rock the boat, I have 288's EBC V4 pads and pagid discs and I think they're great.

Might be something to do with the fluid, Don't know what it is, the guy at the garage recommended it, cost 30, but i got NO fade at all at Donnington.

I get on with them really well, you appreciate the predictable strong bite they give at high speeds especially.

16. tony Forum Member

well due to it pissing downall weekend i didnt get round to checking, and i decided to hold off on the purchase. should think itll be ok for a bit. i think il just go for some pads for now, and use the extra time to get 256's sorted.

17. edc1 Forum Member

Looks like EBC compounds are new again for 2004.

18. barny Forum Member

bangs head on desk - repeats furiously for the next 4 mins [:x] [:x] !!

EBC had bad press ontheir old preversion V4 pads as various peeps from CGI and other places had them wear out in a day !!

I have used the V4 Pads repeatedly front and back (shuffles awkwardly - as the place i worked at used to sell them) and have had absolutly no problems with them. No fade no squeel no sponginess ( in fact when Vince at stealth drove mine after a rr session he said they are the best [ebc] he's EVERused. They last me at least 18 months (stil using the turbo discs now and theyre still ok ) and i do at least 6 trackdays a year. That's braking from 130mph, repeatedly for Three hours or more on most of the tracks i've done.

And just to put the "oh its just the way you drive " peeps to sleep, Speedo who has a heavier mk2 jetta, a completey different driving style to me ( more aggressive and err rough ??) also has the same opinion. Remember we both use slicks so put far more loading onto our brakes as we can brake much later, thus generating more heat.

Speedo also has these on his 205Bhp vr6.

Now i'm not saying they are the Best brakes in the world. They are Extremely good value for money, and have served me time and again very well indeed. we have used pagid mintex and ebc, and have stayed with ebc ever since. I have now been out in GVK and the hawk pads in that are far stronger in bite and pedal feel, and i may try these out in the future.

But i think the "ebc are pants" bit has to be laid to rest now they have sorted there compound.

Sorry rant over :)

19. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

What do you think of the pads then Barny? :lol:

20. AndrewF Forum Addict

so basiccally you're confirming my suspicions (as posted further up the page)?

would still be hard for me to bring myself to buy a set after using the poor ones!