Are polycarbonate windows a nightmare?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by PhatVR6, Feb 20, 2006.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Just how impractical are they? or is it just a problem at Maccy D's (I don't use the drivethrough anyway)

Not for a daily driver, I just wanted to know who runs them on the road and what are they like to live with.

2. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

They are a bit of a pain in the ar5e driving to and from circuits, but not too bad.
    Road tolls and car parks are a kuffle and the sliders are a bit rattly at motorway speed and it's gets chuffing hot in summer, [:s] but other than all that they're fine. :lol:

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

Can you get away with using the same thickness as the original windows?

4. gillm

gillm ***** User

would they not scratch easy ? might look crap after a while , also i have seen some that turn milky !

5. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

no reason why not, but why bother??
    Edited by: I V - mk1 16v

6. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

yeah they do scratch easily, but not a prob aslong as only clean them with a wet sponge.

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

There is some better stuff than polycarb its polycarb with a layer of anti scratch coating that they use on dbl glasing windows

i did find out what it was called before but it has to be bought in a sheet that works out cheaper then poly carb but it has to be bought in a bigger sheet if that makes sence.

and it only comes in one color

8. rradogolfman Forum Member

mine go up and down in the original sliders,, saved a bit of weight not as much as if i removed the winders etc but a bit none the less,, nice to have the windows still functioning

9. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

You could just replace the 3 rear windows if practicallity is an issue.

10. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

cheaper option and easier i guess!

depends how useable u want ya track car as a every day car or to and front events??

11. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

as I said, not a daily driver, but will be driven to the tracks.

lard arse corrado, needs to lose a LOT of weight!

12. rradogolfman Forum Member

Get rid of that 4wd system :lol:;)

just kidding,,

little amounts of weight like windows will make little difference on your car,, you need to either get the holesaw out or you simply need more power!! ;)
    think of the weightyour saving as a percentage of the total car weight,,
    thats why you notice lightening a mk1 a bit as they are light to start with,,
    on a raddo you need to start shedding 100`s of kilos,,

13. jimmy8v Forum Member

The other thing about windows is that they are weight that is high(position wise) in the car. Therefore you are doing that little extra to benefit CoG. Same goes for sunroofs. Admittedly you could still class it as negligible, but thats a matter of opinion.

14. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

yep, glass sunroof.....that is going straight in the bin, along with the rest of the roof.

full cgae is going in, so I really need to lose some of the weight.

I'm even going to cut out the rear inner quarter skins. what's the point of those! the mk2 golf makes do with a rivetted in spar, yet the corrado has a dirty great big skin of steel! chop chop.

15. fthaimike Forum Addict

Like jimmy said ithough windows were quite heavy [:s]& being high up weight it would make a difference in the long run as your pushing the weight back downlower inthecar.

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

You're alright if you've got an agile passenger to get out at the passport controls. ;) :lol:

17. Kitsune Forum Member

In the 205 I run full polycarbs but to improve on the weight loss, I've ditched the leccy window motors and removed the inner skin plus all associated wiring. This saves a fair old amount, and in conjunction with bits like losing the heater matrix, replacing dash with carbon fibre item, ditching petrol tank and associated plumbing (replaced with foam filled ally tank) loosing all un-needed wiring (ECU, leccy windows, Radio, heater/matrix controls etc) I should be looking at a good drop in weight. Then i'll get the holesaw out for the rear end.

As said, it gets extremely hot so a few well placed lengths of ducting is handy. I'll be running one from under the engine, through the bulkhead (using existing matrix pipe holes) and directed at me touring car style. Also thinking about venting the rears and fitting flush 'brake cooling vents' and ducting them to just behind me.

Sliders aren't very waterproof either!