Armour door plates

Discussion in 'Security' started by martyn_16v, May 20, 2004.

1. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

How straight does your door have to be to fit under these? Some arsemonkey has made a right mess of my door, i'm hoping I can bash it roughly back into shape and fit the door plates, rather than have to buy a new door.

Ta

2. Pittuf New Member

Do these things fit behid the panel, (stupid question?).

I did read that a mk3 golf is dead easy to break into.

3. mk3anniversary Forum Member

they fit on the outside of the door, round the lock end of the handle....

4. Rahul Forum Junkie

and look stupid

5. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

...but hopefully make it take longer than 3 seconds for the local scag bandit to get in the car.

The thing that really p1sses me off is that the fecking boot was open anyway because it's lock is shafted, but the daft tw@ts didn't notice that [:x] :clap:

6. Pittuf New Member

I thought so, there must be something that fits inside the door, ok the tea leaf ain't gonna know they are there but if it helps stop them they gotta be good! Someone must have come up with the idea surley

7. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

You can buy metal plates from VW they go in the door mechanism so have to take the door cards off to fit them, can't remember what they are called at all sorry but they stop the coathanger trick maybe called slim jim plates i know it sounds crap but im sure someone knows on here. :lol:
    Edited by: Mk2GolfBoy

8. superden Forum Addict

Its not worth bothering IMO.

If somoene wants to steal a 17 year old Golf they arent going to spend 5 minutes prizing the door open, they are just going to put the window through ...

A Mk2 Golf isnt going to be stolen to order or anything, anyone stealing one is a joyrider and they dont much give a sh*t whether they damage the car or not do they ?

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

If your going to use armour door plates then make sure you use official ones as the after market copy's just rust as i found out.

They are easy to fit you just:

Remove chrome cover, undo screw at end of handle opposite to lock end, undo screw located next to the door catch on the end of door (tucked behind the rubber), wiggle trigger on handle to get it out off door, replace rubber seal around inner part of handle (this is in the kit), slide on armour plate (may have to wiggle trigger again to move mechanism), push handle back into the door with a little wiggling again, screw back in the screw located at end of door next to catch first (handle is pulled towards catch), screw small screw back into door that was hidden behind chrome strip (you may want to replace this screw with the alan headed ones that come with the official ones to make things difficult for theifs), replace chrome strip.

Total time about 20-30 mins

10. jokermunro New Member

if you cant get the screw out from the front handle connection you can flex the handle enough to fit the plate, also you can file the lock slightly at the front end so the plate sits snug, there are instructions on fitting in the haynes/max power modifiying book that will help. yeah, i know its a boy racer book but it has detailed instructions on stripping a mk2 almost to the bone so it's almost worth the twenty quid.

11. Mark16v Forum Member

Am I right in thinking that these armour door plates are the things that 'cup round the lock side of the handle?
    Can anyone tell from the picture if my car has got em fitted??

[​IMG]

12. Mk2GolfBoy Forum Member

yes you do have them fitted.

13. Mark16v Forum Member

Cheers mate, put my mind at ease as I was contemplating getting them anyway [:D]