Audi 52mm Guages into Mk2 20v (Pics and a couple of Questions)

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by cupracraig, Jan 29, 2020.

1. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I've had some Audi Guages sat about for a couple of yesrs now and the time has come to add them into the car. Hopefully this comes in useful to people looking to do the same, it has some questions contained in Bold text.

The aim is to have both the dash Visual Display continue to work and have these running in the single DIN stereo slot.

Oil pressure guage (part number 893919551) is 0-5 Bar so i believe part number 035919561 would be appropriate for a sender.

8-16v battery voltage VDO (part number 893919531)

looks to be a Oil temp VDO (part number 321919541A) this looks to be a mk1 Golf part Oil temp Guage which would be ideal - The question i have on this is can i piggyback on the existing oil temp sender? or will doubling up on the wire mean i get a duff reading? in which case, i'll need a t-piece with 2 x senders?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So i'm missing the wiring loom, its all been cut, but i do have wire ends to help me figure out what i need to source.

There is a VDO relay that is in loads of ebay photos of these VDo sets, Part number 893919080 which looks to be an 'instrument lighting booster relay' so i would assume that this takes a 12v feed (is this fed from Ignition Live fron somewhere like a cigarette lighter ?) then feed the 3 bulbs for the guages and positive feeds into the guages?

Current known Wiring:

Battery VDO:
    Positive : Black/Blue
    Negative/Ground: Brown

Oil Pressure:
    Positive (+): Blue/Black
    G (? Sender wire?): Blue/White - i'm assuming this is the feed direct from the sender (single wire?)

Oil temp:
    Positive (+): Blue/Black
    G (? Sender wire?): Green/black - i'm assuming this is the feed direct from the sender (single wire?)

Bulbs for all 3:

Grey/Red
    No earth wires attached but these would all be brown.

Can all Earths/negatives be fed into one big earth wire?

Do i only need one ignition Live feed assuming i use the relay booster? or can i do away with the booster as i will be using LED's?

Can i go direct to the senders with the single wires? I believe this would be fine?

This is the guide photo i am using for a loom Guide

[​IMG]

Any input would be helpful.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. no you cant run 2 gauges off the same sensor, so you'll need various T pieces if you want both the MFa to work along with the pressure gauge and keeping the original dash happy. make sure your pressure gauge sender is a dual pole type as that'll take over the function of one of the original pressure switches. the 20v engine only has 2 oil tappings, replace the original mk4 switch with a T piece and put the pressure senders here. remove the allen head screw blank in the other tapping, fit another T piece and put your temp senders here. On that note, as its a VW 150 degree gauge you'll probably need a mk1/2 white 0-150 degree sender to run it rather than the blue 0-180 sender requited for audi 170 degree gauges

2. dont bother with the relay, just wire the illumination up to the VW illumination feed. there is usually a spare blue/grey wire spade behind the fusebox which is perfect for this or you can tap into the ciggy lighter or radio wire if you prefer

3. yes 'G' is for the wires off to the sensors in engine bay

4. yep

5. yep

6. yep

on the ignition live feed, you want to tap into a coil live '15' engine circuits, rather than a feed from the 'x-over' relay 'X' as that is only monitoring what voltage is available for the wipers, blower motor, rear screen etc. where to tap in depends on what fusebox you have :)

run all the earths to the claw above the fusebox, or you can crimp them into a ring terminal and put to the stud on the A pillar theres one on both sides

erreesse likes this.
  3. cupracraig

Brill, thanks John!

its a ce2 fusebox. so just need to know which source to use for that now :)

one last question, it all seems to use 1mm wire which looks to be 16 amp.. am i good just ordering new of this or is it better to order some thicker 1.5mm 21amp wire? and would this be fine for the signal from sener wirte too?

4. cupracraig

1H0 919 563 is the part number for the white sender if anyone reads this thread in the future

erreesse likes this.
  5. rubjonny

1H0919563 is for MK3 golf MFA, it wont work on MK1/2 MFA and probably wouldn't work for the VDO gauge either. 049919563A is what youi want for MK1/2 MFA and probably is the one you need for that gauge as well :)

for CE2 fusebox you can use D plug for your ignition live feed, usually a spare black wire hanging out of it you can use with empty plug housing. the grey/blue I mentioend earlier hangs out the same plug so that helps when making a nice neat VDO loom :)

erreesse likes this.
  6. cupracraig

thanks so much John!

7. cupracraig

John, the cables used look to be 0.35mm thin wall, maybe 7a wire.. am i best to replace like for like or go a bit thicker?

8. rubjonny

you can go a bit thicker if you like :)

9. Farmerchris

Farmerchris Paid Member Paid Member

If your going in the radio slot then I found the radios wiring Ignition Live and Earth handy.

I used an old radio power connector so the car loom didn't need cutting and saves adding/running wires.

I tapped into the dash illumination for the blower controls below for the gauge back lights.

10. rubjonny

the standard VW radio wiring wont have a switched live unless its a very late runout, on those its a brown/red wire fed by a special pin on the ignition switch which is live as soon as the key is inserted which would work ok :)

on that note though you could go into the glovebox light black/red wire which is ignition live on a CE2 mk2 golf, CE1 its tapped to the x-live on the blower motor switch. then use the grey/blue radio wire for illumination. the glovebox light also has an earth you could use, or run it to the chassis/claw direct

11. cupracraig

I can use both these options. i was going to totally ditch the stereo, but might relocate the guages to below the electric window switches if it will fit.

12. rubjonny

you can buy a plate which allows you to install the gauges where the ashtray used to be, awesomegti have them still I think. its where mine are :)
    gti78.jpg

13. cupracraig

14. rubjonny

thats the very one. its a little odd because it actually includes 2 panels, the idea is the 2nd one goes behind to help you mount it. what I did was make up a metal bracket to hold the gauges in then sold the spare panel on for half price which makes the cost pretty reasonable. Though I bought mine around 10 or so years ago now, they may not include 2 panels any more :lol:

cupracraig likes this.
  15. cupracraig

16. cupracraig

[​IMG]

Not sure if this will work. Swapped out the old bulbs for LEDs and started to wire them up. The oil temp is not the same light colour...so now wondering if I can change them to green to match the golf!

17. cupracraig

Hopefully image attached this time

Attached Files:

18. rubjonny

there is a filter inside, you cant change it without cutting the gauges. people have done it but a little drastic. you could try ultra bright green leds, sometimes you can overpower the filter

cupracraig likes this.
  19. cupracraig

hmm, i'll order some up some green LED's and give it a go. The loom is all made up now so i'll get it in on Friday and see how it looks / works